Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Director of Finance
The Finance Director serves on the senior management team to provide leadership in the area of finance and technology. Responsible for all financial processes, transaction accounting and reporting; payroll; the internal control system; preparation of financial forecasts and budgets; financial analysis and support of other staff members; and oversight of IT for the organization.
All Staff members are accountable for knowing and performing the responsibilities associated with their individual position in an efficient and effective manner, understanding that each of us plays an integral role in the success of our mission.
All Staff will support the agency mission, vision and strategic directions and support administrative decisions. This is demonstrated by maintaining a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner so that they get along with children, families, coworkers, supervisors and the public while achieving performance expectations.
Financial Processes, Transaction Accounting and Reporting
- Develop and implement processes for accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll including benefit, cash receipts and disbursements, asset inventories, purchasing, and others.
- Account for all financial transactions in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and provide accurate and timely reporting by time periods, programs and funds sources.
- Prepare, analyze and present financial reports for management, the Board of Directors, the Policy Council, grantors, and government agencies.
- Develop and implement a system of internal controls to minimize the organization’s financial risk, and to insure accurate financial accounting and reporting.
- Regularly monitor financial processes and accounting to insure compliance with all Head Start Program Performance Standards, OMB Circulars and the Head Start Act.
- Coordinate the annual audit of the organization by certified public accountants, and the Federal Government fiscal reviews.
- Maintain documentation of all financial policies and procedures.
- Maintain files of all grant awards, contracts, agreements and partnerships.
- Coordinate the process of developing and updating financial forecasts of organization revenues and expenses.
- Oversee and lead the annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Executive Director.
- Administer and review all financial plans and budget, monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Coordinate with staff in the development of program and department budgets.
- Provide financial reports for the review of actual results, and the comparison of results to forecasts and budgets.
- Analyze processes to enhance service and improve efficiency.
- Assist staff in the preparation of grant applications and reports.
- Consult with staff to assist them to effectively perform their job.
- Serve as a member and staff lead of the Board of Directors’ Finance Committee.
- Oversee the overall planning, organizing and execution of IT functions provided by a contract provider at Growing Futures.
- Conduct annual inventory of existing IT supplies to ensure staff has the resources they need to be successful in their positions.
- Oversee and coordinate computer file backups.
- Manage lease with building owners
- Manage service providers including janitorial, facility maintenance providers, security system, and phones.
- Support all staff to resolve facility related issues.
- Ensure agency fiscal policies and procedures are reviewed regularly and up to date to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations and reviewed and approved by governing bodies.
Other Job Responsibilities
- Maintain a professional presentation of self and Growing Futures when working with vendors and in the community.
- Attend professional development trainings and report new information to team.
- Ability and understanding to work in a program serving a high-risk, low-income population.
- Maintain and ensure confidentiality and privacy of Growing Futures.
- Uphold management decisions in word and action.
- All Growing Futures employees are mandated reporters for suspicion of child abuse and neglect.
- Set-up tables and chairs in meeting room as the need arise.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 3-5 years of accounting and financial reporting experience
- Fund accounting experience, preferred
- Federal Grant accounting and reporting experience preferred
- Advanced computer skills
- Outstanding oral and written communications skills
- Strong organizational skills to provide timely administration of assorted duties
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive, effective working relationships.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- An initial physical exam and TB test are required as a condition of employment and must be updated every five (5) years, unless exposure to TB.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer and office equipment, including, but not limited to the telephone, fax machine, copier, and computer.
- This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open file cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear and move throughout the facility occasionally.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The position operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as a computer, phone, photocopier, filing cabinet and fax machine.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $75,000 - 99,999