Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Finance Director - Platte County Board of Services
Platte County Board of Services
The Platte County Board of Services, established in 1975 to provide support for individuals in Platte County with intellectual and/or development disabilities, seeks an experienced business/finance manager with accounting background to serve as the agency’s Finance Director, serving both PCBS and Platte County Connections, an affiliated nonprofit and supporting organization of PCBS.
One of 88 Senate Bill 40 Boards in Missouri and supported by a property tax levy, the Platte County Board of Services provides approximately $7.5 million annually to support programs and services that enable individuals with intellectual and/or development disabilities to lead full lives with choice. Supports are provided through direct service and through partnerships with providers and include:
Resource Coordination and Services, CARF-Accredited Residential and Day Habilitation Services; Transportation; Recreation; Employment; Early Childhood; Therapy and Consultation; Advocacy and Awareness; and the Partnership for Hope Medicaid Waiver Program.
Reporting to the Executive Director and supervising a staff of two, the Finance Director is responsible for the overall financial management of the organization and will have primary day-to-day responsibility for financial strategy, planning, and analysis; budgeting and forecasting; accounting; general ledger; fiscal stewardship; financial relations and policy development. As the leader of the Finance Team, the Finance Director will work closely and collaboratively with others members of the organizational team to create seamless and effective organizational alignment.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports and projections for Platte County Board of Services and its programs and Platte County Connections.
- Lead the annual budget process for PCBS and Platte County Connections, working with the Executive Director in the development and monitoring of the budgets. Provide year-round support to departments to implement, maintain, and manage departmental budgets and operating plan. Prepare specialized budgets, together with the appropriate staff member, as needed.
- Identify and monitor significant business operating risks and financial irregularities and trends and communicate information to pertinent stakeholders.
- Partner with the Executive Director and other senior team leaders to chart a strategic direction to better serve the needs of Platte Countians with intellectual and/or development disabilities. Stay abreast of industry trends in accounting and I/DD, seeking ideas and innovation to contribute to the betterment of the organization.
- Oversee the Accounts Payable and Receivable processes. Ensure proper distribution of charges to expense accounts. In partnership with the Executive Director, and other key staff as appropriate, devise revenue generating and cost containment strategies, providing oversight of the implementation of those strategies, as approved by the Executive Director and/or Board.
- Oversee payroll and benefits, including changes in administration.
- Custodian of all records of income into the program. This includes the movement of money through accounts. Work with income sources for PCBS and report significant changes to the Executive Director. Monitor and manage PCBS bank, investment and credit card accounts.
- Serve a chief liaison to the County for the collection of mill levy funds. With the Executive Director, recommend and oversee investment of those funds.
- Oversee contracts for services with providers receiving mill levy funds through PCBS. Serve as a key team member to the funding review process, performing critical financial review and analysis.
- Oversee agency insurance. Lead insurance review process. Serve as primary liaison to insurance providers.
- Oversee and maintain records of all contracts and leases. Maintain inventory of agency assets.
- Ensure timely filing of required reports for Platte County Board of Services and Platte County Connections to the Internal Revenue Service, Platte County, and other entities, as appropriate. Prepare for and lead the annual agency audit.
Desired Attributes and Skills
The ideal candidate will be a highly organized strategic thinker and skilled people and process manager committed to ensuring a high-level of leadership, accountability and fiscal effectiveness. In addition, the candidate will demonstrate:
- Passion for the mission of PCBS to support individuals with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities to live full lives with choice.
- Strategic planning and business analytics skills
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, including leadership capacity
- Continuous commitment to evaluation, effectiveness and improvement
- Ability to deal effectively with a variety of situations requiring judgment and poise
- Experience working with volunteers, external stakeholders and strategic partners
- Facility with financial software packages. Command of technology with the ability to leverage it to improve operations and communication.
- Commitment to personal and organizational growth
- Personal orientation toward professional development and supporting a team.
- Team Management and cross-functional effectiveness
- Ability to self-start and implement programs
- Manages complexity and knows how to prioritize
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Business/Finance-related field with Accounting Concentration
Minimum of 5 years in finance or accounting-related roles with management/supervisory responsibility.
Nonprofit accounting experience preferred with solid background in in applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as they relate to not-for-profit entities
Intermediate to advanced experience with MS Office Suite with focus on Excel
Experience with data entry and databases required
Professional certification (e.g. CPA) is a plus.
Application Deadline and Procedure
While the position will remain open until filled, applications received prior to November 1 will receive priority consideration.
Apply by email to: HCapPCBS@gmail.com
Attach to the e-mail in PDF format only:
- Letter of application
- Resumé, detailing measurable success in the areas of key qualifications for the position
- List of five professional references we may contact
Complete applications will be acknowledged by return e-mail within one week of submission.
Questions may be directed to: HCapSearchNP, Jennifer Furla, Partner, firstname.lastname@example.org; 816-591-5493.
The Platte County Board of Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. PCBS affords equal employment opportunity regardless of age, race, gender, creed, national origin, disability, gender identity, veteran status or any other legally protected categories.