Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
The Staff Accountant reports to the Controller and performs accounting and administrative duties including financial and expense processing, accounts payable, and other related financial tasks needed for accurate and timely recordkeeping and report submissions.
- Perform functions such as accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Ensure all expenditures are posted for each billing period
- Prepares financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information
- Verifies accounts by reconciling assigned statements and transactions
- Resolves account discrepancies by investigating documentation
- Maintains financial security by following internal accounting controls
- Maintains financial historical records by filing accounting documents
- Prepare and submit monthly, quarterly and annual billing reports and invoices to internal and external users
- Prepare regular reconciliations of accounts receivable balance sheet accounts as well as revenue schedules
- Contribute to annual and special audits as required
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
- Prepare information for closing of monthly and annual accounting periods
- Other tasks as assigned by Controller
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting preferred
- 2 years accounting experience required, work in nonprofit is desired
- Knowledge of QuickBooks is a must, willingness to learn new programs
- Excellent Microsoft Excel skills required
- Outstanding organizational and planning skills
- Ability to perform accurate and timely work in an organized and efficient manner with minimal direction, under stressful situations and short deadlines. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, and to deal effectively with outside entities and the general public
- Be highly detail-oriented while meeting required deadlines
- Strong attention to accuracy and detail and organizing
- Problem analysis and problem-solving skills
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Job Knowledge - Competent in required job skills and knowledge; exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; uses resources effectively.
- Use of Technology - Demonstrates required skills; adapts to new technologies required for accounting; keeps technical skills up to date.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult internal customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and/or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to handle information and work within various accounting systems by computer. The employee is occasionally required to move throughout the office to assist, to interact with and communicate with staff. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 5 pounds.
Hours/Schedule & General Working Conditions:
Standard hours for this position are 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday. This schedule rarely may vary depending on the needs of the position. This job primarily operates in a professional office environment. The employee will routinely operate standard office equipment including but not limited to computers, keyboards, mouse, phones, photocopiers, printers, scanners, filing cabinets and fax machines. While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Salary will be commensurate with experience, at a base compensation beginning at $45,618 annually.
All employees must demonstrate a commitment to Community Services League’s Equity and Inclusion efforts.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $30,000 - 49,999