Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Community Health Navigator
Overview of Hillcrest Transitional Housing
Hillcrest solves homelessness one family at a time in the greater Kansas City metro area. We offer homeless families, singles and youth a disciplined educational program within a caring, supportive environment. Unlike many organizations whose focus is one-time or emergency care, Hillcrest’s primary objective is to move clients from homelessness to self-sufficiency by addressing the total life situation of the homeless families we serve. At any given time, there are approximately 100 households in our care. Hillcrest provides and operates the following:
- A transitional housing program that focuses on moving clients to self-sufficiency within a 90-day time frame.
- A 24-month youth housing program for homeless teens and youth adults, ages 16-24, who have an educational goal.
- A rapid re-housing program for those in need of immediate housing.
- Two robust thrift stores that act as a primary funding source for our ministry along with providing housewares for our programs and clothing and resources for our families.
Hillcrest thrives because of a talented and diverse staff of more than 40 individuals. Each member of #TeamHillcrest is fueled with a passion for serving others. The team at Hillcrest collaborates daily to provide a loving and supportive environment to meet the needs of the families we are blessed to serve every day.
Why Join #TeamHillcrest?
Everyone at our organization works extremely hard everyday and we know it takes a special amount of Godly grit to serve at Hillcrest. We are a growing organization looking for amazing people to join us. In addition to competitive wages and a flexible work environment, Hillcrest offers the following benefits to all members of #TeamHillcrest:
- Paid training and onboarding
- Paid vacation and PTO
- 11 paid holidays annually
- Company matched 403(b) retirement plan
- Employee Assistance Program + Employee Assistance Fund
- Paid Parental Leave
- Discount at our thrift stores
- Annual professional development opportunities
- Advancement opportunities within the organization
Opportunity – Community Health Navigator
The mission of the Hillcrest Community Health Navigator is to connect our residents to medical providers and community resources. They will help to enhance the mental, physical, spiritual, and social health to ensure our residents can successfully move from homelessness to self-sufficiency. The cornerstone of the position will be providing excellent caring support to residents, coordinating care from health providers, and negotiating the health care system as an advocate for our residents. Additionally, the Community Health Navigator will work to connect residents to community resources such as job coaching programs, affordable housing, and transportation.
The perfect candidate for this position will be committed to service and embody the organization’s mission. They will be a passionate advocate for our organization, our residents, and those in need of our services. Ideally, they are comfortable working with other faith-based organizations, ministry groups, and volunteers. The candidate will be ready to work in a fast paced, diverse, and collaborative work environment. This person must be trustworthy, confident, and comfortable making important decisions daily. Being ready on day one with experience in serving a diverse population and navigating the Kansas City metro area health system is crucial.
Essential Duties of the Community Health Navigator
- Manage a caseload of Hillcrest residents to provide interventions necessary to maintain optimum health and reduce the emergency room usage.
- Update database systems with most recent information.
- Follow up with residents recently seen in the emergency department.
- Establish and maintain effective ongoing relationships by facilitating communication and coordination with residents and their primary care physicians.
- Assist in scheduling health related appointments for residents.
- Monitor overall health and activity levels to promote a healthier lifestyle.
- A bachelor’s degree with coursework in the medical field, social work, sociology, or psychology is preferred.
- Understanding of medical resources in the Kansas City metro area.
- Knowledge of working with vulnerable populations.
- Ability to complete work in a timely, accurate, confidential and thorough manner.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Hillcrest.
- Ability to exhibit a professional manner in dealing with others and works to maintain constructive working relationships.
- Strong attention to detail and experience balancing ongoing projects with one-time requests.
- Comfortable in networking and public speaking.
- Familiarity with Windows, Office, Google Drive, Gmail, and HMIS or equivalent industry software.
- Ability to travel to Hillcrest sites throughout the Kansas City metro area.
The Community Health Navigator is a new, grant funded position at Hillcrest. This is a full-time position located at our Kansas City, Kansas housing campus. Candidates must be willing to work in our offices daily. Typical hours for this role are 9am – 5pm, Monday through Friday. There will be after-hours events and activities that will require additional hours on evenings and weekends. In addition, the Community Health Navigator will be on-call for any resident medical emergencies that may occur.
Salary range for this position is $36,000 - $38,000 based on experience and credentials. To apply, fill out our online application at https://hillcrestkc.org/careers/.
Hillcrest Ministries of MidAmerica, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, drug free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $30,000 - 49,999