Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Home Health Aide (Hospice)
Full-Time Hospice Aide positions are available in KC and the surrounding area. Competitive wages and benefits. Shifts to include M-F day time only, no weekends, or a Tue-Sat/Sun-Thurs day options available. No holidays. The candidate must be a CNA or HHA. If CNA agency will assist in obtaining HHA certification.
Successfully promote and support the mission of Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas as guided by the Catholic Social Teachings by providing services for a patient as necessary to meet the patient's personal needs and to promote comfort. The hospice aide is responsible for observing the patient, reporting these observations and documenting observations and care performed. The hospice aide will be assigned in a manner that promotes quality, continuity, and safety of a patient's care. Catholic Charities is an EEO employer.
Essential Functions:Responsibilities of the hospice aide are based on individual patient need and typically includes, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performing personal care needs after given a patient's assignment and attending to his/her requests promptly. If unable to perform a certain task, report to the primary care nurse immediately.
- Providing patient and family with positive communication techniques, within the realm of ethical and respectful care, including confidentiality.
- Meeting safety needs of the patient and using equipment safely and properly (foot stools, side rails, O2 etc.)
- Taking and recording oral and auxiliary temperatures, pulse, respiration, and blood pressure when ordered with appropriate completed/demonstrated skills competency.
- Providing proper care and observation of a patient's skin to prevent the breakdown of tissue over a bony prominence.
- Assessing and reporting on the patient's condition and significant changes to the assigned supervisory nurse. Also aware of the caregiver or other individuals living with the patient and interpersonal issues.
- Providing respite for the patient's/family/caregiver when on-site, as appropriate.
- Adhering to the organization's documentation and care procedures and standards of personal and professional conduct.
- Respectful of the patient and family/caregiver environment and the patient's personal needs.
- 10. The hospice aide will not function in any manner viewed as the practice of nursing according to the Nurse Practice Act. Specifically, the hospice aide will not administer medications, take physician’s orders or perform procedures requiring the training. knowledge and skill of a licensed nurse, such as sterile techniques.
Minimum Position requirements
- Demonstrate a passion for the mission of Catholic Charities
- Must be willing to perform by the agency’s values: love, patience, kindness, faithfulness, self-control, and joy
- Catholic Charities promotes a diverse workforce. Employees are not required to be Catholic, however, employees of Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas must understand that they are a visible representative of the Archdiocesan Church and as such will not publicly oppose the teachings of the Catholic Faith nor publicly advocate for any position in conflict with Catholic teaching, or the specific positions of the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas or the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. This requirement includes any public speech, demonstration, or writing including the use of social media or other digital technologies
- Must complete VIRTUS training, background screening, drug testing, and any ongoing training as required
- At least 18 years of age with a GED or high school diploma
- Complete a nurse assistant and home health aide program from a state-approved program.
- Possess a CNA and HHA certificate active on Nursing Assistant Registry of KS and MO.
- Ability to read and follow written instructions and document care given.
- Is self-directing with the ability to work with little direct supervision. Secure with issues of death/dying. Provides a calm manner when in a patient’s home. Ability to work effectively in an environment that is very diverse.
- Possess and maintains current CPR certification.
- Demonstrates tact, patience, and good personal hygiene.
- Must possess a valid Kansas or Missouri Driver’s license, dependable transportation, current vehicle insurance and a verified safe driving record.
- Successfully completes a 90-day probationary period. This 90-day probationary period is to ensure the aide is competent in the above qualifications and is documented by the supervisor and the employee.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds
- Must have the physical ability to complete assignments in a variety of environments: homes of those we serve, extreme heat, humidity, dust, smoke, pet contamination, cleaning supplies, etc.
- May be exposed to infectious diseases
- Must have the physical ability to make visits to a variety of environments that may include walking on rough terrain and climbing stairs
- Must have physical ability to effectively communicate with others
- Must have the physical ability and appropriate licensure for driving
Job Type: Full Time,Part Time