Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Director-Children's Discovery Center
The Children's Discovery Center Director serves as the leader of the brand new discovery center and is responsible for strategic vision and engaged management of the team members and resources. As a Director, this person will provide expertise and resources to ensure the business practices and operational functions are leading examples of best practices in nonprofit management and financial stewardship. This leader will initiate, cultivate, and support innovation and change to provide unique and fresh experiences that anticipate and respond to the needs and interests of guests, team members, educators, and community leaders. This Director will manage, coordinate, and personally develop and implement the day-to-day program operations as well as lead, administer, and improve all aspects related to performance outcomes for the discovery center - assuring best practice processes. This Director will also collaborate with others internally and externally to establish annual and ongoing measures of performance and assured alignment to expected department and process area measures. In collaboration with others, the Director will create and deploy plans to assure stakeholder satisfaction / engagement goals are met – particularly as it regards internal customers and direct reports. The Children's Discovery Center Director provides leadership to direct reports including discovery center team members, interns, and volunteers and reports to the President of Mosaic Life Care Foundation.
- Vision: Works in collaboration with partners to articulate the future direction of the discovery center so that every decision made advances the discovery center vision. Is knowledgeable of national trends and applies this knowledge to benefit the discovery center. Anticipates changes that will be required to realize the vision; and guides transformation in a systematic, inspirational manner. Is a thought leader and expert regarding discovery center operations and is a valued internal resource for this knowledge.
- Operations: Works in cooperation with the Foundation to advance the discovery center’s fundamental values, core initiatives, strategic goals, financial stewardship, organizational and programmatic leadership, and external engagement of the broader civic and educational community. Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures. Influences the discovery center’s promotional platforms and strategies to deepen audience engagement, build brand equity, and achieve visitation and revenue goals. Sparks new ideas that leverage core competencies to introduce innovative and cost-effective revenue-generating programs and partnerships. Pursues a strong fundraising plan that ensures the growth of a diversified funding stream, including individual gifts, corporate, foundation, and government grants in conjunction with the Foundation’s philanthropy division. Strengthen and support the programmatic and operational goals; maintaining a strong financial oversight including setting long- and short-term financial objectives to facilitate sustainable growth. Actively champions and fosters a culture of inclusion, collaboration, innovation, and professionalism; prioritizing structures and policies that attract, motivate, support, and retain diverse and talented team members. Prioritizes and accomplishes key initiatives while regularly measuring and analyzing the return on investment of talent and resources. Oversees all operations of the discovery center. Oversees performance and conducts performance evaluations for direct reports. Serves as the primary outreach liaison for external presentations and VIP tours of the discovery center. Assists the discovery center team with creating and maintaining strong community connections. With the Mosaic Life Care Foundation Director of Regional Relations, oversees all marketing and public relations activities effectively communicating the work and mission of the discovery center while increasing visibility.
- People Development: Accomplishes their goals through effective selection, development, and coaching of team members. Continually seeks and applies best practice approaches in providing feedback through annual performance reviews and regular informal conversations. Uses critical conversation techniques to retain and grow high performers; to provide clarity and development for middle performers; and to improve or deselect low performers—continually seeking to improve both administrative and behavioral skills of direct reports. Sees self and the team’s development as an integral obligation and function of their role. Understands their role as a model for HEART behaviors.
- Quality: Is a key advocate to assure services provided to the discovery center are carried out with the highest attention to quality. Sets priorities and assures initiatives meet organizational standards. Facilitates effective communication to prioritize and resolve stakeholder points of concern.
- Performance Management: Understands the disciplines of performance measurement and management and uses disciplined high-accountability approaches to accomplish goals. Engages direct reports and stakeholders in understanding, prioritizing, and deploying best practice performance improvement methodologies to assure top performance outcomes.
- Administrative Function: Works with the Foundation President to contribute to and monitor operational budgets. Works with the Foundation President to finalize annual budget. Works with others to define equipment, supply, labor, and other resource needs, helps prioritize among competing needs. Assures technology and systems meet the information needs of the discovery center.
- Evidence-Based Leadership: Continually gathers information from a variety of sources: Leadership Team, partners, visitors, members, investors, team members, and others to identify critical issues and problems and to develop breakthrough solutions. In addition, continually seeks knowledge related to best-practices, evidence-based leadership approaches and engages others through teaching, feedback, and encouragement. Navigates through difficult, complex situations—helping to resolve ambiguity and inspire others to their best performance.
- Other: Participates in a variety of multi-disciplinary, cross-functional teams and committees to represent the discovery center as well as Mosaic Life Care Foundation and to contribute to broader organizational outcomes. Invest in learning and education to continuously develop their own capabilities and to maintain knowledge of national trends.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $75,000 - 99,999,$100,000 and over