Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Director of Human Resources
Rose Brooks Center
Director of Human Resources – Exempt (POSN: 50-001-FT-HRD)
Rose Brooks Center, a non-profit domestic violence agency, seeks a full-time, exempt Director of Human Resources. This Generalist position reports to the Chief Executive Officer and is responsible for providing leadership, expertise and oversight in all areas of Human Resources. As a Generalist, this position acts as a strategic partner and consults with senior leadership and supervisors on all human resources matters, provides day to day execution of HR work tasks, and serves as an advocate for staff members. Ensures compliance of human resources function with regulatory agencies, as well as demonstrates knowledge and application of best practices aligned with Rose Brooks Center’s mission, vision, values, beliefs and philosophies. This position provides leadership and supervision to the part-time Human Resources Recruiter.
- Establish and provide leadership and direction for the agency’s Recruitment, Hiring and orientation processes.
- Direct all agency recruitment and hiring in accordance with federal EEOC standards.
- Develop and administer effective recruitment programs with an emphasis on recruiting a qualified, diverse workforce.
- Assist HR Recruiter and managers with screening, interviewing and decision-making process for open positions as needed. Assist leadership in the decision making and offer process for all open positions.
- Direct the pre-employment process, such as background screenings and reference checking.
- Conduct new employee orientation and guide the onboarding process.
- Performance Evaluation and Compensation
- Conduct wage and salary surveys and makes recommendations to senior management on compensation programs that are consistent with the goals of the agency.
- Direct the annual performance evaluation and salary review process.
- Review evaluations of performance on employee and provide guidance to supervisors on evaluations.
- Review salary recommendations and provide guidance to supervisors on salary adjustments.
- Employee Relations and Performance Improvement and Disciplinary Process
- Provide guidance and direction to managers and staff on personnel issues and employee relations matters, including reviewing complaints, conducting investigations, and recommending solutions.
- Handle employee relations counseling and provide assistance in settling work-related conflicts through advice and recommendation.
- Oversee performance improvement/disciplinary process and play an active role in all decisions.
- Be actively involved in all termination decisions and in facilitating all terminations.
- Conduct exit interviews and discuss findings with senior management.
- Organizational Development and Design
- Provide strategic direction for organizational development related to the needs of the agency.
- Make recommendations to senior management on hiring, promotion, termination, disciplinary and commendatory actions of all personnel to support agency mission and initiatives.
- Personnel Policies and Procedures
- Develop, implement and oversee all agency personnel policies and procedures with an eye on consistency and current best practices.
- Update the employee handbook and other resources to reflect any changes.
- Ensure agency is operating in compliance with all applicable employment laws
- Employee Recognition, Training and Development
- Deliver a variety of training programs for staff, using both internal and external resources.
- Develop and facilitate meaningful supervisor training, using both internal and external resources.
- Maintains and coordinates employee recognition programs and activities.
- Perform other work related duties as assigned.
This position is full-time, exempt position. Hours: Mon-Fri. with some evening and weekend hours.
OTHER ASPECTS OF THE JOB:
- Perform all job responsibilities while demonstrating proficiency in all RBC Competencies and a commitment to the overall mission of Rose Brooks Center.
- Perform functions of job according to agency policies and procedures.
- Awareness about the risks of secondary trauma and understand one’s own responsibility of self-care.
- Participate in all required trainings and optional trainings as determined.
- Attend scheduled staff, team and supervisor meetings.
- 10+ years’ experience providing strategic and tactical Human Resources Management
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management or related field
- Demonstrated in-depth experience in employee relations and personnel issues
- Experience in developing and administering effective recruitment, hiring and onboarding processes
- Experience with compensation and benefits administration
- Proven experience providing effective consultation to senior leadership
- Experience serving as an employee advocate and actively listening to employee concerns
- Working knowledge of employment law, including EEOC and affirmative action
- Experience working within a multidisciplinary team and facilitating multidisciplinary team meetings
- Ability to manage and administer a broad range of tasks including resolving complaints, counseling managers and employees on the interpretation of policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated customer service skills, including high level of responsiveness
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written. Ability to present facts and recommendations effectively in oral and written form; Utilizes a solutions oriented approach in problem solving
- Experience in developing and maintaining strong relationships both internally and externally
- Experience in facilitating, diffusing and mediating difficult situations with tact and diplomacy
- High level of integrity and strong work ethic
- Able to work independently and function as an effective team member
- Experience providing culturally competent services to a diverse client group
- Proven organizational skills, effective time management and ability to multi-task
- Computer literacy
- 2-5 years managerial-level Human Resources experience in a non-profit setting.
- Certification as a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP).
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to:
P.O. Box 320599
Kansas City, MO. 64132 OR
Candidates must consent to background and Division of Family Services (Central Registry/Child Abuse) screenings
Deadline: Open until filled per required qualifications. For questions, contact HR, 816-523-5550.
Rose Brooks Center is an equal opportunity employer who values and embraces diversity. Rose Brooks Center offers comprehensive and competitive pay and benefits.