Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Director of Human Resources & Culture
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Kansas City
Posted 01/07/19Director of Human Resources & Culture
OUR PURPOSE: To clear the path to a child’s biggest possible future.
Standing Together To Defend Potential: In a world of causes, we make a difference by creating professionally supported, one-to-one Matches for kids who want to realize their full potential. Big Brothers Big Sisters professionally creates and supports these Matches. Over 1,300 Matches (Bigs & Littles) get together every week in Kansas City. Research proves that children enrolled in BBBSKC programs are more likely to improve in school and in their relationships with family and friends and are less likely to skip school or use illegal drugs or alcohol. BBBSKC has been recognized as a leader in the non-profit industry and in the national BBBS network; winning the National BBBS Large Agency of the Year and Gold Standard Award in 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2017. Other awards include Ingram’s Magazine & KC Magazine’s Best Non-Profit and the Non Profit Times Best Non Profit to Work For in America. Our mission and reputation attract a very talented pool of employees and our culture helps us retain that talent.
The Director of Human Resources & Culture is an in-house position that will lead our culture practices and provide expertise and support in the areas of Recruitment, Performance Management, Succession Management, Professional Development, Compensation and Benefits, Employee Relations, Employee Engagement, Diversity & Inclusion, Policy and Procedure Development, and HR Compliance. This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Partner with internal stakeholders to implement strategies for employee recruitment, engagement and retention
- Collaborate on individual professional development planning, including skill-based training, to enhance the growth and development of talent
- Participate in coaching, counseling and advising management and staff to ensure resolution of employment related matters
- Develop and implement strategies to increase Diversity & Inclusion within the organization
- Prepare and analyze HR metrics and provide reports that support decision making in specified areas
- Manage the end-to-end Recruiting and Performance Management processes
- Manage employee benefits through coordination with Bukaty Companies
- Create and / or update policies, procedures, and guidelines as needed
- Function as a liaison to internal committees and working groups
- Implement new and enhance existing staff recognition and reward programs
- Participate in the exit interview process
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation
- Ensure adherence to federal, state, and local legal requirements, advise management on needed actions to remain compliant
- Master use of our HR software system, Paycom, which includes time collection
- Keep abreast of industry knowledge and trends by participating in conferences and educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining professional networks, and participating in professional organizations
- Additional duties as assigned
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree, and a minimum of 6 years of HR experience in the above areas
- Thorough understanding of HR policies and procedures, and knowledge of Federal and State regulations, including FLSA, FMLA, COBRA, ADA, HIPAA, and EEO laws and regulations
- Familiarity with all aspects of HR, including recruitment, compensation, benefits, and professional development / training
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills are essential
- Ability to lead meetings and presentations, and ability to interface with all levels of staff and external clients
- Must be a collaborative team player, possess a strong customer service orientation, and be a consultative problem solver
- Ability to advocate for both staff and management
- Highly proactive style of work, with a demonstrated track record of developing innovative approaches
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required
BBBSKC is the fastest growing Big Brothers Big Sisters agency in the nation, nearly doubling the size of our staff and number of children served within the past 10 years. We are proud to offer competitive pay, a generous benefits package, ample vacation days, and a fun office environment where the average tenure for staff is nine years. Management believes in helping our staff members learn and grow, offering professional development opportunities whenever applicable. We also believe in the work hard, play hard motto as we plan quarterly staff outings where we step away from our day-to-day operations and focus on connecting as a team. This position is based in our beautiful, newly renovated Crossroads office (which happens to include a rooftop party deck) and auxiliary office next door. As a member of the BBBSKC team there will be an expectation to participate in some evening and weekend events.
If you qualify for this position and are passionate about our mission and our staff culture, we look forward to meeting you.
Please email your resume and a cover letter (to include what makes you a phenomenal candidate and why you want to work at Big Brothers Big Sisters as well as your salary requirements) to:
Erica Ostroski, Chief Operating Officer
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Kansas City
Email applications are preferred; if that is not an option you may send your application to:
BBBSKC, Attn: Erica Ostroski, 1709 Walnut Street, Kansas City, MO 64108.
BBBSKC values diversity and inclusion and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type (optional):
Salary Range (optional):