Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Legal Counsel under retainer
The Community Mental Health Fund is a Missouri political subdivision created pursuant to RSMo 205.975 et seq. for the purpose of providing funds from a mental health tax levy within Jackson County, Missouri, to supplement operation of community mental health centers, mental health clinics, and other mental health services. In response to proposals, contracts are awarded to non-profit organizations with the capacity to deliver and manage mental health services according to statutory and Organization requirements. Operations are overseen by a volunteer Board of Trustees appointed by the County Executive and County Legislature. Operations are carried out by five full-time professional staff, that include licensed mental health professionals that perform on-site financial and performance audits at each funded organization. There are approximately 40 grantee organizations, serving 18,000 county residents. The organization is not involved in litigation, and none is anticipated.
By policy the organization rebids professional services on a three-year cycle. Through this request for qualifications, the organization seeks to retain counsel for a period of one year (calendar 2020) with an option to extend.
- Report to the executive director, chair of the Board of Trustees, and other Trustees as needed
- Develop approximately 40 contracts for mental healthcare services, based on awards and conditions determined by the Trustees
- Provide periodic consultation to executive director on legal matters, risk mitigation, relevant operational matters
- Support the organization's statutory authority, operational independence, adherence to open meetings/records requirements
- Attend Board and Committee meetings (approximately two per month) and provide in-meeting opinions as requested on transparency, procedures, legal adherence
RSMo 205.975-205.990; RSMo 632
Jackson County Code, chapter 86
Organization web address: www.jacksoncountycares.org
Sample contract, Bylaws (upon request)
Organization audit: see web site Home > Annual Reports > Annual Audit
List of funded organizations: see web site > Connect to Care, Levy-Funded Agencies
Respond in writing by October 18, 2019. Provide a letter indicating interest and include:
- Missouri Bar number
- Experience with contract law specific to programs and services of charitable, non-profit organizations
- Experience with healthcare and/or mental health organizations
- Other relevant experience such as membership on governing boards
- You may discuss preliminary costs estimates for one-year retainer, this is not required
- List significant relationships with Jackson County government, City of Kansas City, Kansas City Missouri, KC Economic Development Corporation, Port KC, Missouri Department of Mental Health
- List significant relationships with Community Mental Health Fund grantee organizations. These are listed on our web site under the 'Connect to Care' tab.
- Attach resume
Community Mental Health Fund
1627 Main Street, Suite 500
Kansas City, Missouri 64108
E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Type: Part Time,Temporary