Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Legal Services Paralegal | Unaccompanied Children's Program
Job Title: Legal Services Paralegal - Unaccompanied Children Program
We are seeking a compassionate and skilled Paralegal to join our Unaccompanied Children Program. The ideal candidate will be responsible for assisting attorneys and other team members in providing legal services to detained and released children in removal proceedings who are seeking legal status in the United States. While this is a collaborative team environment, the Paralegal in this position will work primarily on coordinating legal services for clients, including preparing client immigration applications, motions in immigration court, case flow coordination, data management, and other tasks as needed. This Paralegal position is perfect for a candidate who is motivated, dedicated, and willing to work in a fast-paced and collaborative environment. If you have Spanish-language skills, a passion for helping others, and are committed to making a difference in people's lives, we encourage you to apply for this rewarding opportunity. Prior immigration and/or legal experience encouraged, but not required.
Key Responsibilities (training will be provided for each task):
- Prepare and conduct Know Your Rights presentations and legal screenings for children detained in a shelter in Topeka, KS.
- Manage spreadsheets to track client data and legal referrals to attorneys in other areas of the country for children released elsewhere.
- Enter data as required by contract to inform funder of legal services provided
- Communicate with case managers at the shelter regarding the status of the children's cases.
- Coordination follow up screening and legal relief letters for children going to Long Term Foster Care, communicate with the client's case manager, and acquire necessary client documents from them.
- Screen incoming calls and messages from potential clinic clients.
- Coordinate case flow, client communications, and maintain USCIS and Immigration Court (EOIR) filing deadlines for current clients.
- Manage the outgoing mail log and delivery confirmations, drop off outgoing mail to office mail personnel, and send a daily email to the team about outgoing mail.
- Draft responses to Request for Evidence (RFEs) and coordinate with clients to complete the evidence requested.
- Draft, compile, and work with attorney to finalize and file clients' immigration applications.
- Draft, and work with attorney to submit, and confirm the receipt of clients' motions to immigration court.
- Must have strong written and oral communication skills in both Spanish and English, with a minimum conversational level of proficiency in Spanish.
- Must have a passion for immigration-related and trauma-informed advocacy with children.
- Should possess excellent organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks, track extensive details, and remain mindful of overlapping deadlines and priorities.
- Must be a fast learner who can meet quick deadlines under pressure and handle confidential information discreetly.
- Must possess basic word processing, data entry, and computer skills, especially Excel spreadsheets, Microsoft Word, and Adobe.
- Must have strong inter-personal skills and work well on a team.
- Should be flexible, punctual, and responsible.
- Must be able to pass federal and state background checks.
- Individuals with prior immigration experience and/or experience working with immigrant children are highly encouraged to apply.
Based on Experience
|Employee’s Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance Fully Paid
10 Paid Federal Holidays
3 Weeks Paid Time Off
About The Asylum Clinic Kansas City
The Asylum Clinic Kansas City is a small but rapidly growing 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization providing comprehensive immigration legal services to immigrants in our community. Despite our small size, we manage a large caseload and work collaboratively to navigate the ever-changing policies of the immigration system, which greatly affects our day-to-day work. To ensure that we continue to fulfill our mission of providing excellent legal services, our team works closely together to overcome challenges presented by immigration policy and achieve our client goals.
Our organization was founded with a commitment to uphold the rights and dignity of all immigrants, regardless of their background or circumstances. We believe that every person deserves access to high-quality legal representation and comprehensive support services, particularly those who have fled their home countries due to violence, persecution, or other forms of hardship. At ACKC, we are proud to be a trusted and respected resource for immigrants and their families. We are committed to fighting for their rights and providing them with the tools and resources they need to build a brighter future.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com. Please use the subject line "Paralegal, Legal Services - [Your Name]" when submitting your application.
In your cover letter, please explain why you are interested in this position and how your experience and qualifications align with the requirements of the role. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Position Available June 1. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in joining our team
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $30,000 - 49,999