Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Communications Specialist - Digital Media
Communications isn’t just a box to check in Lenexa – it’s an essential function that allows our residents and businesses to feel connected to their community. We place a high priority on ensuring our stakeholders have timely access to accurate, relevant information through the city’s social media channels and website.
We’re looking for someone to lead that charge – to keep Lenexa ahead of constantly changing trends and ensure the city remains a leader in digital communications. Someone who is organized yet can adjust quickly; who can create and follow brand standards yet is creative; who can write, design, shoot video, take photos and strategically manage projects while working as part of a cohesive, high-performing communications team. The hours for this position are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. with occasional evenings and weekends as needed.
Our team supports the City of Lenexa, Kansas, a leader in the delivery of exceptional public service. Known as the City of Festivals, Lenexa is a growing, dynamic and progressive city of approximately 55,000. Lenexa employees are dedicated to the city’s core values – integrity, service, teamwork, dedication, vision and caring.
The Communications Specialist – Digital Media manages Lenexa’s digital channels that engage and inform residents, employees, businesses and other stakeholders. They are a key voice of Lenexa – creating and managing content for social media and the website, and responding in a timely manner to questions and comments. They ensure there is a steady stream of relevant information about the city and its facilities. They create content that resonates with our audience as helpful, fun and engaging. And, they measure those efforts, providing strategic analysis to guide the city’s future communications projects.
Essential Functions, Duties, and Responsibilities
Managing 15+ social media channels for the city, Lenexa Rec Center and Lenexa Public Market on a variety of platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Nextdoor, Yelp and Google My Business. Responsibilities include monitoring, planning and creating content while following best practices for each of the individual platforms. The Communications Specialist – Digital Media is expected to stay abreast of trends, news and updates in the social media industry and develop standards, systems and processes to position the city at the forefront of social media in government.
Other responsibilities include monitoring and responding to comments and questions, planning, buying and tracking social media advertising campaigns, and tracking and reporting on analytics.
The city’s website is a major information source for residents and businesses in the community. The Communications Specialist – Digital Media is responsible for creating and maintaining content for more than 300 pages on the city’s website using its content management system. This includes training department editors to update the website, reviewing content submissions and managing the performance of the city’s website vendors, and ensuring ADA compliance.
Design graphics for the city’s digital signage program and oversee the digital signage content calendar to ensure it integrates into the city’s comprehensive communications strategy. This person will also write content and design graphics and icons for the I Like Lenexa mobile app and manage the content calendar for the app.
· Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, communications or a related field
· Three years of progressively responsible experience in the field of communications, with key responsibilities for digital communications.
· Valid driver’s license
· The structure and content of the English language, including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar.
· Experience with Microsoft products, Adobe Creative Suite CC and Google Analytics.
· Social media organic and paid content creation and management.
· Understanding of the principles and best practices of graphic design, photography and videography.
· Basic understanding of HTML
· Basic understanding of ADA compliance for digital media
· Ability to shoot and edit video
· Five or more years of progressively responsible experience in the field of communications, with key responsibilities in digital communications.
· Experience with a mid-size or large public or non-profit organization.
· Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite CC, Microsoft products, Google Analytics and other data metrics tools.
· Advanced knowledge of HTML and ADA compliance for digital media.
Compensation and Benefits Hiring range is $51,986 to $63,553 dependent on qualifications. The City offers a highly competitive compensation package including health, dental, life, short-term disability; state defined benefit pension plan, city matching defined contribution retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, access to an on-site health clinic and much more. Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of pre-employment physical, drug screen and background investigation.
To Apply: Applications are only accepted online and must include both resume and cover letter. The resume must include employment history during the past ten years. For best consideration apply immediately as applications are accepted until filled. EOE