Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Development and Communications Specialist
To view the complete job description and apply, click here.
Position: Development and Communications Specialist
Classification: Non-exempt (hourly); full-time
Reports to: Director of Development & Community Engagement
Schedule: TBD (Some weekend and evening availability required)
Development and Communications Specialst Position Summary
The Development and Communications Specialist (DCS) provides support for various facets of the Lawrence Humane Society’s community relations initiatives, including communications, advertising, donor relations, and events, and is an integral member of the organization’s fundraising efforts. The Development and Communications Specialist reports to the Director of Development and Community Engagement.
- Drafts weekly local media pet features
- Drafts monthly e-newsletter and email marketing features
- Maintains photo, video, and print archive
- Manages publicity materials, including rack cards, brochures, stationery, invitations, etc.
- Drafts website content and makes necessary content updates to the website as needed
- Drafts social media content to help maintain an active social media presence
- Facilitates data entry into donor database, including overseeing timely processing and acknowledgement of donor contributions, maintenance of donor records, and accurate reporting and production of mailing lists
- Generates donor acknowledgements
- Oversees in kind donation process, including fielding requests, obtaining donor information, and coordinating community donation drives
- Assists with grant writing, reporting, and tracking
- Oversees retail purchasing tracking, and inventory processes for shelter store, online store, and event sales
- Attends and represents organization at fundraising and outreach events and other special events
- Assists in the coordination of organization’s three signature fundraising events, including:
- Event logistics
- Tracking event expenses
- Coordinating event-related communications and mailings
- Maintaining event income and in-kind donation records
- Building and maintaining guest and vendor lists
- Securing vendors for applicable events
- Manages third party fundraising application process, including maintaining third party fundraising calendar and acting as a liaison with fundraiser and organization staff
- Staffs community events as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum of 1 year experience, or commensurate experience
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with photography
- Experience in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills
- Detail-oriented and a self-starter
- A demonstrated commitment to the LHS mission and vision
- Unimpeachable ethical standards and personal integrity
- Experience with donor databases (Donor Perfect, NEON CRM, Raiser’s Edge or similar)
- Experience with Wordpress
- Experience with email marketing systems (MailChimp, Constant Contact, etc.)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee is required to remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time, as well as move and traverse within the shelter facility for extended periods of time, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is required to communicate, converse with, convey information to, express oneself, and exchange Information with shelter staff and the general public. The employee must regularly move, transport, and position items weighing up to 10 pounds, frequently moves, transports, and positions items weighing up to 25 pounds, and occasionally moves, transports, and positions items weighing up to 50 pounds. The employee is continuously exposed to animals, animal waste, potentially harmful cleaning chemicals, high noise and potentially hazardous conditions, including the risk of animal bites and working outdoors for extended periods of time during cold and extremely hot weather.
We value integrity, respect, innovation, quality, passion, fun, and generosity. We expect each associate to practice these values in the way we approach our work and the way we treat one another, the animals and the public we serve.
It is the primary responsibility of everyone working at the Lawrence Humane Society to focus on the success of the animals we care for by working in collaboration and harmony with team members throughout the organization.
Each one of us is responsible for understanding and following Lawrence Humane Society’s policies, procedures, and practices.
In addition to the specific job responsibilities listed, Lawrence Humane Society employees must successfully perform other responsibilities as assigned.