Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Director of Marketing and Communications
Director of Marketing and Communications
Jewish Family Services (JFS) supports and strengthens the Kansas City community by providing essential programs and services for individuals and families coping with crises and life’s everyday challenges. JFS is a nonprofit 501c3, non-sectarian agency, serving people of all ages, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, physical ability, religion, or socioeconomic status. We serve over 7,000 individuals annually, plus an additional 20,000 young people through our "You Be You" mental health promotional campaign in local middle and high schools. Programs include Kesher KC Food Pantries and affiliated shelter, employment, and social work services; mental health services; and older adult services.
Job Summary: We're looking for the right candidate for our Director of Marketing and Communications, a combination of proven experience in marketing and communications, and an orientation to the kind of caring and concern that JFS has for our community. This position is responsible for JFS’s strategic marketing, earned media, and communication plans aligned with our strategic priorities. The position promotes awareness of JFS, our programs, our impact, communicating to current and potential donors, current and potential clients as well as the broader community, and increases JFS’s reputation as a vital human service organization in the Kansas City region.
Guiding Principles: JFS is guided by five principles that inform how we engage with each other and the community we serve. The right candidate embodies these principles personally and professionally:
- B’Yachad - Stronger Together: We are stronger as an agency and a community when we think, work, and serve together.
- Being Human-Centered: We put the human experience and perspective at the center of our thinking, programming, services and interactions.
- Collaboration: We actively seek partnering opportunities within JFS and throughout our community.
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship: We respond and continually adapt to ongoing needs and changes in the Greater Kansas City area.
- Open Communication: We communicate openly, honestly, and in a solution-oriented manner.
We're looking for the right candidate with proven experience, success, and expertise that they can bring to JFS in the following areas:
- Develop and implement JFS’s strategic plan for communications and marketing.
- Manage the communications team, including a marketing associate and media relations contractor.
- Manage JFS’s brand, ensuring consistency of presentation, image, and messaging.
- Develop written, visual, and multimedia content across JFS’s channels, including website, blog, social media, newsletter, e-mail, annual report, various publications, and a video channel.
- Partner with chief advancement officer, and as an integral member of the advancement team, collaborating on cross-departmental work to develop fundraising appeals and communications.
- Collaborate across communications and advancement to conceptualize and execute live and virtual events.
- Create and execute multi-channel marketing campaigns, with appropriate audience segmentation and targeting.
- Maintain and grow our social media presence, reach, and impact with dynamic strategies and data analysis.
- Manage and implement traditional media strategy to actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to promote JFS, and promote staff as subject-matter experts.
- Manage outside contractors, volunteers, and interns for services such as graphic design, video production, photography, and web development and support.
- Guide and collaborate with program staff on program-specific marketing plans and strategies, program materials, and PR.
- Provide communications support for the organization’s public policy priorities and initiatives.
- 5+ years of communications, marketing, and public relations experience, preferably with a non-profit organization.
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, MailChimp or similar email platforms, and social media.
- Proven experience with traditional, digital, and social media campaigns, content, and materials.
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge a plus.
- Superior writing and content development skills across a variety of formats and styles.
- Knowledge and experience in marketing strategies and graphic design; experience with digital and data-focused technologies and best practices for campaigns across multiple platforms.
- Demonstrated project management skills; highly organized, with exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to lead, inspire, and work collaboratively with team members, both within Advancement and across the agency.
- Passionate about the mission and aligned with the guiding principles of Jewish Family Services.
Jewish Family Services does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Learn more about JFS by clicking here!
Job Type: Full Time