Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Education and Communications Manager
The Kansas Association of Counties (KAC) is seeking a full-time professional Education and Communications Manager. The KAC is a quasi-public agency which seeks to advance the public interest by promoting effective, responsive county government in Kansas. Founded in 1975 as an instrumentality of its member counties, the Association serves county governments through legislative representation, technical assistance, leadership and professional education.
Position Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Executive Director, this position plans schedules, markets, and evaluates all KAC public outreach and media communication efforts. This includes, but is not limited to, creation of marketing campaigns, development of marketing materials, publications, presentations (PowerPoint, webinars and other formats) writing scripts, writing and editing articles, and maintenance of the KAC website. The incumbent in this position will design and plan, in concert with KAC staff and Board Members, all continuing education programming, including the Annual Conference, Institute of Excellence, and other educational events. This position will direct the Events Coordinator who will be responsible for providing the logistical arrangements with hotels, conference centers, members and attendees, speakers, presenters, sponsors, exhibitors, and guests for all events.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Edits the monthly newsletter, County Comment, to include writing as needed, managing content and layout, proofing final copy.
- Effectively communicate with members in-person, via phone, e-mail, and other correspondence.
- Plans and schedules all programming for KAC with a specific emphasis on the KAC Institute of Excellence. This includes identifying and securing workshop and webinar instructors; preparing service contracts between KAC and instructors; evaluating all programs on a regular basis to ensure the Institute maintains quality standards.
- Executes a marketing-communication campaign to garner strong participation rates for all KAC programs and to increase revenue generation.
- Work with outside designers and printers to develop program materials.
- Works with the Executive Director on developing the content for Kansas County Commissioners Association’s (KCCA) annual conference and annual business meeting pursuant to a secretariat agreement with the KCCA and subject to oversight and coordination with other KAC staff and the KCCA executive committee. Assists in the same manner with any other secretariat agreements.
- Develops general letters, memos, promotional pieces, reports, guides, brochures, presentations, and other KAC materials. Proofreads copy for spelling, grammar, and layout. Responsible for accuracy and clarity for final publication of assigned documents.
- Oversees the Events Coordinator on coordination of all logistical arrangements with the hotels, conference centers, members and other attendees, speakers and presenters, sponsors and exhibitors, and guests for the Annual Conference and other events.
- Supports Office Manager on the administration of the Service Award program.
- Supports communication efforts of other staff, including the Legislative Policy Director on social media.
- Provides transportation in personal vehicle as needed.
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Communications Proficiency
- Organizational Skills
- Composure in Customer Service
- Computer capacity with website content development
- Aware of Adult Learning Strategies to be used to design educational programs
- Collaboration Skills
- Effective Time Management
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
This is largely a sedentary role, but some physical activity is necessary due to conference and event preparation. This requires the ability to lift and carry supplies, particularly during the KAC annual conference. It is necessary to load and unload the supplies before and after the conference. Similar lifting requirements will be necessary during other KAC events.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
There are occasional travel requirements for this position with some overnight obligations. During KAC’s annual conference in the fall, all employees must be available for the entirety of the conference. This is typically a four-day event, though there may be other times when travel with a hotel stay will be necessary.
Required Education and Experience
- Baccalaureate degree in Communications, Journalism or other related field
- Five years of related experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s in Communications, Journalism or other related field
- Seven years of related experience
Please note this job description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This job description is a summary of typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. The Education & Communications Manager is responsible to the Kansas Association of Counties Executive Director.
Applications deadline and procedures: Posting deadline is January 20, 2020.
Apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Attach to the email in PDF format only the following 4 items:
- Cover letter
- Salary Expectations
- 3 writing samples
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $50,000 - 74,999