Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
PR & Communications Specialist - Part-time
Truman Heritage Habitat for Humanity, Inc., is an all-embracing Christian non-profit that invites the communities we serve to put Godly love into action by bringing people together to build homes, communities, and hope in Eastern Jackson County (EJC), Missouri. Founded in 1989, Truman Habitat is an affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI).
With help of our partner families, and a wealth of community donors and volunteers, Truman Habitat has built and financed more than 88 homes for new home buyers and has repaired hundreds more to support the unmet needs of low-income neighbors in the communities we serve. And by working to build and improve homes here in our community we are making a meaningful difference in the health of neighborhoods throughout EJC and are doing our part in meeting Habitat for Humanity’s global vision of a world where EVERYONE has a decent place to live.
Servants of Habitat for Humanity’s mission are passionate, innovative, and tireless advocates when it comes to engaging the community and developing meaningful relationships that will help us achieve our purposes. We know doing our best work requires recruiting those for whom our mission, values and work resonate loud and clear. We like to think that joining Truman Habitat is a lot like joining a team of superheroes that have set out to change the world starting, with our own backyard!
The role of the PR &Communications Specialist is critical to the overall success and security of the organization that will ultimately allow Truman Heritage Habitat for Humanity to provide ongoing services for our clients.
The PR & Communications Specialist:We seek a PR & Communication Specialist who enjoys the challenge of development and advocacy with respects to the responsibility of stewardship and has the heart of a servant leader. They are a strategic thinker, and collaborator, who will deliver results to further Truman Habitat’s mission. They have integrity. They are highly motivated, hard-working, confident, and resilient with the ability to apply new knowledge in creative and innovative ways. They can adapt to change, enjoy a complex and fairly fast-paced environment, and are flexible when need be. Most importantly, they will be enthusiastic about building lasting relationships upon which Truman Habitat can build homes, communities and hope for generations to come.
The ideal candidate will have solid experience in aspects of fund development, public relations and communications and marketing. The PR and Communication Specialist plays an essential role to drive our public visibility, engage partners and shine a spotlight on our work. This position will be responsible for the overall communication strategy for the organization. The successful candidate will be obvious as an instant champion for Habitat’s mission and values, with an easy ability to clearly articulate our vision, and to build rapport and credibility with both internal and external contributors alike.
- Support and endorse the Habitat for Humanity mission.
- Support initiatives in the areas of diversity, inclusion, equity, and justice
- Ability to “put God’s love into action” with every interaction providing excellent client-satisfaction and long-term relationship building through positive communication and coaching.
- Integrity, organization, attention to detail, and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to be versatile, creative and committed to excellence.
- Cooperate with the Corporate Relationship Builder (CRB) and the Community Engagement Director to support development and growth of corporate and organization partnerships.
- Create messaging to provide accurate, timely and thoughtful communications.
- Manage distribution of sponsorship deliverables in cooperation with CRB and volunteers.
- Support the design and drafting of communication plans, website content, drafting of media releases, newsletters and any other communications material of Truman Habitat to include: social media, speeches/presentations, contacts with the media, annual reports, developing/improving communication procedures for appeals and organizing media events, campaign materials, videos, and homeowner testimonials.
- Share and coordinate with contracted marketing professionals and staff to design and produce digital and printed marketing materials required to secure and support corporate partnerships.
- Other Duties as Assigned
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Qualifications & Proficiencies:
- Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts or equivalent work experience and strong work-related experience
- Three – five years or more of verifiable Public Relations and Communications or related experience
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work well with a variety of people, personalities, age, and backgrounds
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint and ability to learn a program management system
- Ability to plan, schedule, prioritize, coordinate, delegate and manage multiple work activities
- Flexibility regarding work assignments and work hours
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record; must be insurable by THHFH’s insurance provider
- Reliable transportation and willingness to travel as needed to perform job duties
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Dependability, reliability, strong work ethic and commitment to the organization
- Well organized and detail oriented … strong time management and organization skills
- Desire to be part of a cohesive team
- Ability to work with individuals and families of all diversity
- Bilingual is a Plus
- Understanding and support of the vision of Truman Heritage Habitat for Humanity
This position requires office and field work. Communication and interaction with others are required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and listen. Field work is required to meet with collaborative partners and to on occasion meet clients or corporate partners in their community. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms.
Work Environment and Conditions
- Work is performed in an office as well as off site
- Must be comfortable working with the public
This is a part-time position with flexibility to work remotely/at home. Days and hours of work are usually Tuesday through Friday based on the needs of the business. Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Compensation: Based on level of experience
Truman Heritage Habitat for Humanity is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Type: Part Time