Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Public Affairs Coordinator
PUBLIC AFFAIRS COORDINATOR
The Mid-America Regional Council (MARC) is seeking a qualified individual to serve as a Public Affairs Coordinator. This person will provide communications support for several of MARC’s environmental programs. Responsibilities will include strategic communications planning, writing, editing, graphic design, event planning, citizen outreach and engagement, media relations, social media and website updates.
MARC, the association of local governments and metropolitan planning organization for the bistate Kansas City region, promotes and supports cooperation on regional issues, including transportation, the environment, our workforce and economy, aging services, community development, quality early learning, public safety communications and emergency services. MARC has a collaborative work environment with a culture based on integrity, innovation, diversity and inclusion, excellence in performance and service leadership.
MARC’s public affairs team serves an internal public relations role, assisting programs with strategic communications planning efforts and producing a broad range of agency-wide and program-specific publications, online content and other collateral.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The person in this full-time position will provide direct support to several environmental programs, including Solid Waste Management District initiatives, the Water Quality Public Education Committee and related initiatives, implementation of the region’s Green Infrastructure Framework, and work related to climate action and climate resilience.
What you’ll do
- Design brochures, posters, fliers, event invitations, advertisements and other materials for both print and online distribution.
- Write blogs posts, news releases, web page stories, reports and other collateral.
- Assist with writing, editing and formatting reports, presentations, plans, event programs and grant applications.
- Maintain and update content on environmental program websites and social media pages.
- Help develop, implement and monitor the effectiveness of public outreach and education programs.
- Support events such as Earth Day, National Trails Day and others, including event planning, marketing, web content and collateral materials.
Skills you’ll need
- Proficiency in graphic design using the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop).
- Strong oral and written communications skills, including excellent grammar and spelling.
- Basic knowledge of web page design and maintenance, including HTML code.
- Familiarity with Associated Press style guidelines.
- Experience working with printing companies and packaging design files for pre-press.
- Experience in strategic communications planning, including defining key audiences and messages and developing strategies and tactics for effective message delivery.
- Experience with outreach and education campaigns and events.
- The ability to work independently and manage multiple projects under deadline.
- The ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups, including external stakeholders.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software programs.
- A strong customer service orientation.
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public affairs, public relations or a related field.
- A minimum of five years of related professional experience.
Your resume will stand out if you also have:
- Innovative communications ideas, with examples you developed and implemented.
- Excellent writing and design samples that clearly note your role or contribution to each.
- Skills in photography, videography, video editing, illustration or animation.
- Experience with a public or nonprofit agency.
Starting salary for this position is from $47,643 to $59,553 per year, depending upon qualifications. MARC offers an attractive team-oriented work environment along with a competitive fringe benefit package.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, complete our online application form and attach your cover letter, resume and samples of your writing and design work. For more information, visit marc.org/jobs.
MARC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Job Type: Full Time