Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Publications and Design Manager
Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association (KCMBA) has an immediate need for a Publications and Design Manager to join its talented professional staff supporting KCMBA and its charitable arm, Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Foundation (KCMBF).
The ideal candidate will take extraordinary pride in creating KCMBA’s award-winning publications, communication, and design. This organized, energetic, and visionary contributor will be a master of Adobe Creative Suite (particularly InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop) as well as Microsoft products and easily adapt to other platforms. The successful candidate will exhibit superb customer service and the ability to multitask and manage multiple projects at one time, keeping track of cyclical activities and deadlines while taking on new or unanticipated work. This position requires strong written and verbal communication skills, including grammar and the ability to connect with an audience, superb attention to detail, and keen eye for design. A BS degree or Associates degree is preferred in Journalism, Marketing or Advertising, along with experience with print publications, electronic communications, and graphic design.
KCMBA is the largest and oldest bar association in the Kansas City area. Founded in 1884, KCMBA leverages its rich tradition as a platform to provide current, innovative, and relevant service to its 5,000 members in its nine-county service territory in Missouri and Kansas. KCMBA’s membership includes attorney, judicial, and law student members who make up the core of the Kansas City legal community. This active, voluntary association regularly hosts continuing legal education programs and social events, plans and presents community outreach and pro bono activities, produces the only Directory of the Greater Kansas City Legal Community, as well as a full-color, award-winning monthly magazine, and much more. KCMBF operates three original innovative charitable programs that directly serve our community: Military Maters (provides pro bono legal services to veterans and military personnel), Domestic Violence Alliance (provides education and collaboration for front line professionals working to solve the problems associated and caused by domestic violence) and Student Law Academy (provides paid internships to local underserved high school students that allows for a meaningful exposure to and understanding of the next steps for a career in the law.)
Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. This position can work at KCMBA’s beautiful offices located on the Streetcar line, or a hybrid structure, with negotiable details. Ample benefits include health, dental and vision insurance, PTO of 15 days the first year, plus about 15 paid holidays annually (exact number varies year to year), a 401k plan, a profit-sharing plan, a fancy onsite fitness center, and paid covered parking in the building garage. There is also frequently extra food available from our social events and meetings. Please send a cover letter and resume to Vickie Mauck at email@example.com, using the subject line “Publications and Design Manager.” Employment with KCMBA is contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
IN A NUTSHELL:
This person is responsible for managing the production, content, design and layout of our publications, online presence, brochures, and marketing materials, including the KC Counselor magazine, social media, the Directory of the Greater Kansas City Legal Community (Bar Directory), e-newsletters and event marketing collateral. Collaborates with all departments and the Communication Advisory Committee to ensure consistent and up to date messaging, including website and Social Media content.
BREAKING IT DOWN:
- In the role of Managing Editor, manages the timely production, design and layout of KCMBA’s monthly publication the KC Counselor
- Manages assignment, timely delivery, and editing of all volunteer-written articles and occasionally writes limited content to fill in gaps
- Conducts all aspects of design production including toning photos, sizing and saving images
- Manages and oversees all proofreading process, meeting all deadlines
- Reviews and develops the editorial calendar and monthly layouts for the KC Counselor
- Researches and implements new and innovative ideas for improvement
- Manages the Communications Advisory Committee, a volunteer committee that assists in ideas and content
- Designs display and special publication advertising, as needed
- Creates and maintain a collection of artwork and advertisements
- Working with key internal leads, designs marketing efforts for membership, programming, and events, including concepts and ideas with rough design layouts, the editing process, and final products
- Maintains the visual brand with attention to detail, accuracy, and consistency across all forms of media and communication
- Creates and maintains branded materials for KCMBA and KCMBF
- Manages website content and updates, including image selections, intranet and collateral consistent with the brand
- Manages project budgets and establish reasonable and appropriate timelines
- Creates the designs, layouts and produces artwork such as charts, logos, posters, signage, collateral, advertising, and event programs
- Creates templates for others in KCMBA and KCMBF to use on their own
- Edits and selects photos for marketing collateral
- Develops and maintains a photograph bank of events and people
- Prepares a photo book gift for each outgoing President of photos throughout their KCMBA tenure and specifically their year as President
- Reviews, updates and enforces the KCMBA Style Guide
- Writes and design flyers, brochures and other print materials special events
- Works with printers and other vendors to handle all invoicing, quotes, communications, and timely delivery of the product on budget
Directory of the Greater Kansas City Legal Community (Bar Directory)
- Manages the timely and accurate production of the Directory of the Greater Kansas City Legal Community (Bar Directory), which includes classified, display and yellow page advertisements.
- Works with the relevant KCMBA staff and the printer, to ensure accurate, timely and cost-effective publication of the Bar Directory
- Design displays for advertising, as needed and obtain approval from advertisers
- Assists with upgraded marketing efforts for sales of the Bar Directory
Public Relations / Media Relations
- Increases exposure of KCMBA and KCMBF through PR and media releases, promoting a positive image and increasing awareness
- Writes press releases and send to all media contacts and other applicable parties
Job Type: Full Time