Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Senior Communications Manager - Education, KC Civic & Evaluation
The Senior Communications Manager of Education, KC Civic & Evaluation is responsible for leading communication projects that help strengthen educators, key city assets administrators and the evaluation team to grow and engage these respective communities and audiences. The position is responsible for understanding program goals and designing specific communications plans to achieve those goals. The Senior Communications Manager is expected to oversee marketing campaigns executed by internal and external team members and must be confident in recommending strategies and tactics to achieve program results.
This position works directly with program leadership, team leads, program officers, Public Affairs team members, and vendors to drive program results. The Senior Manager must build and maintain strong relationships with these stakeholders to drive progress and achieve goals. The Senior Communications Manager works closely with the Directors of Strategic Communications and Engagement & Policy to identify opportunities for deeper cross-Foundation communications and engagement and helps identify competing or conflicting communications priorities within the Education, KC Civic, and Evaluation departments.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
Marketing & Communications
- Work across the Foundation’s Education, KC Civic, and Evaluation teams, Public Affairs associates, and vendors to develop, coordinate, manage, and facilitate strategic communications that drive program results while managing communications that reach these overlapping audiences.
- Develop and implement marketing and communications plans, strategies, and tactics in partnership with program areas that drive program results.
- Oversee the creation of marketing and communications collateral to ensure brand consistency and alignment to program goals.
- Supervise an embedded team of Public Affairs associates and interns/fellows to support with execution of the plans.
- Ensure consistent, targeted, and results-oriented programmatic content, messages, and stories.
- Serve as lead communications point of contact on multiple projects to ensure cohesion between different department project teams.
- Execute and/or manage content updates that support various program communication needs, including paid and owned channels (website, social, advertising, etc.).
- Design marketing campaigns to target specific audiences, placing an emphasis and discipline on campaign performance and post-campaign learnings/retrospectives to help with recommendations for future campaigns.
- Manage direct email strategy, creation, distribution and analytics to support specific program goals.
- Direct in-house and external communications specialists and project managers integral to the completion of marketing projects.
- Work with the Director of Strategic Communciations to identify opportunities, gaps, and challenges in projects, programs, teams, and communications operations.
- Support the Director of Strategic Communications, as needed, with external stakeholder/media relations, including providing spokesperson coordination, relevant content, or other information.
Budget & Vendor Management Responsibilities
- Develop and manage marketing/communications budgets in collaboration with the Director of Strategic Communications and program operations teams.
- Manage agencies, consultants, freelancers and other vendors, including contract negotiation, scopes of work, invoices, and payments.
- Develop an understanding of short- and long-term foundation and department goals and planned initiatives.
- Stay informed of developments in the field of marketing and communications within the industry to foster ideas and innovation.
- Contribute ideas for new communications opportunities and team operational norms as drawn from researching and recommending best practices.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Education: Bachelor’s degree in marketing or strategic communications. Other degrees combined with relevant experience will be considered.
Work Experience: 8-10 years of marketing and strategic communications experience, 2-3 years management experience (may include direct report management and vendor management)
Travel: This position may require up to 25% business travel regionally and nationally.
Qualified incumbents for this position must be highly motivated, capable of self-direction, detail-oriented and able to work collaboratively in a teamwork capacity. Incumbents must exhibit a keen sense of responsibility and enjoy working with multiple demands, shifting priorities and constant change.
- Has the ability to synthesize multiple viewpoints and serve as strong ambassador within the program team and to other areas of the Foundation.
- Is able to negotiate, adjust, and explore options available to implement needed changes.
- Has the ability to mediate – as issues arise between teams or within projects, ability to find solutions and liaise with team members to mitigate challenges while driving various stakeholders to decision.
- Possesses excellent common-sense judgment with an ability to sell ideas across an organization, manage expectations with others and remain flexible in an ever-changing environment.
- Handles ambiguity yet asks questions/open conversations that can clarify ambiguity.
- Is a strong communicator who can work with different teams and different associates at various levels of the organization.
- Possesses strong, versatile writing, speaking, and presentation skills.
- Has successful experience with highly detailed information and a proven track record in assuming ownership, driving results, and moving quickly to implement ideas in a fast-paced organization.
- Is able to delegate, collaborate, take ownership, work independently, and ask for help.
- Possesses excellent organizational skills, including the ability to organize people, personal work time, meeting time, schedule of projects, and competing priorities.
- Has problem-solving skills with a keen understanding of how to manage unplanned changes, circumstances, and challenges.
All of the statements in this position description are intended to describe the general nature of the work being performed, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. This document describes the position currently available. The organization reserves the right to modify job duties or job descriptions at any time.
Job Type: Full Time