Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Social Media Manager
SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGER
Kansas City, MO | Full-time, Onsite, Exempt
Are you a life-long learner? When you dive into a story, do you find yourself asking more questions, making connections and then finding engaging ways to share your insights and discoveries with others? Would you like to be part of an elite group of American cultural institutions? The Truman Library Institute – a nimble, energetic team of collaborative, productive and passionate professionals – is seeking a rising leader in strategic digital communications to help advance the increasingly relevant legacy and library of President Harry S. Truman.
WORK FOR A PRESIDENTIAL LEGACY
Founded by President Truman, himself, the Truman Library Institute (TLI) is the nonprofit partner of the Harry S. Truman Presidential Library and Museum, widely recognized as a crown jewel of our community, a popular historical destination for visitors from across the country, and an important educational resource for the Greater Kansas City and Independence communities. The Truman Library Institute is funded entirely by private philanthropy and supports the Truman Library’s mission to serve as a “classroom for democracy.” Through public programming, fundraising campaigns, membership and donor societies, friend- and fund-raising events, research and scholarship grants, museum marketing, and nationwide communications strategies, the Truman Library Institute successfully engages and fosters support for President Truman’s legacy and library.
Why Truman? Why Now?
The list of Harry S. Truman’s difficult and world-shaping decisions is extremely long. Assuming the presidency in the final months of World War II, he inherited a worldwide catastrophe. Truman shouldered the burden of leadership in a rudderless world. With courage, integrity, and humility, he vindicated the American conviction that an open society can produce leaders equal to any challenge.
To help commemorate the 75th anniversary of Harry Truman’s world-defining presidency, the Truman Library Institute successfully completed a $55-million capital campaign, supported by more than 40,000 donors from every state in the union. The crowning achievement of the Stay TRU Capital Campaign is now complete – the $29-million transformation of the Truman Library’s presidential museum, hailed nationally as “world-class” and “the new benchmark for presidential libraries.”
With the incredible new digital and storytelling resources from the museum, paired with the largely unexplored treasures of the Truman Library, we have never been better poised to provide worldwide access to the increasingly relevant legacy of one of America’s greatest leaders.
THE OPPORTUNITY: SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGER
The Social Media Manager will serve as a vital member on the Truman Library Institute’s team. The incumbent will direct efforts to bring the rich content and activities of the Library and Institute to national audiences through social and digital media platforms. This is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to play an important role in establishing the next evolution of the Institute’s digital communications. The Social Media Manager will have the opportunity to participate in a Digital Communications Audit led by a national, D.C.-based firm and to develop and execute a comprehensive integrated digital communications plan across multiple platforms.
- Lead the Institute’s day-to-day social media storytelling and strategy including producing, editing, and sharing innovative and appealing content, visual assets, and paid advertising on all platforms.
- Solicit content and contributions from Institute staff members and, when applicable, Truman Library activities and resources.
- Maintain and safeguard brand voice and message strategy across networks.
- Serve as key social media contact during real-time and/or critical, unplanned events. Provide instantaneous intelligence as an issue is spreading and evolving on social media.
- Use social media analytics and research to track key metrics and performance, prepare reports, and make data-driven decisions to increase growth and new audience outreach.
- Implement and maintain institutional social media policies.
- Working with the Institute’s Development team, create and execute communications to support the Institute’s fundraising efforts, including stimulating the recruitment and retention of donors.
- Working with the Director of Marketing and Communications, develop and implement plans to present the Library and Institute’s programs, unique historical archives, educational initiatives, museum store offerings, and membership and donor benefits through online marketing, paid advertising, and promotional plans targeting diverse audiences for increased outreach and attendance.
- Continually develop and improve existing digital and social media processes.
- Set and track measurable goals for digital communications growth.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- 3-5 years of dedicated professional social media experience
- Skilled in Adobe Creative Cloud, with specific experience in Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and Premiere Pro
- Excellent writing, editing, research, and analytical skills with proven online engagement
- Ability to adapt written voice and translate complex historical events to fit channel
- Excellent knowledge of digital media practices, tools, applications, and software including, but not limited to, social media platforms and content management systems
- In-depth knowledge of current social media landscape, trends, tools and analytics
- High level of technical proficiency and willingness to learn and adapt new technologies
- Eye for design, ability to create and repurpose graphics independently within brand standards and experience working with visual and graphic designers
- Critical and creative thinker and problem solver
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated leadership in project, time, and asset management
- Proven ability to respond quickly to changing priorities and deliver high-quality work under deadline
- Display excellent judgement while operating in a flexible and professional manner
- Interest in working collaboratively in a team environment
- Enthusiasm to take on other duties as assigned
This is a full-time, 40-hour-per-week position with flexible work hours based on the individual’s experience and as necessary to fulfill the job requirements. Occasionally, staff are required to work onsite or offsite events during evening hours.
CULTURE AND PERKS
• Intellectually Stimulating Assignments: Be part of a team that is both thoughtful and spirited, independent and collaborative. Enjoy access to the rich historical resources of the Truman Library, as well as the newly renovated museum. Interact with bestselling authors, historians, national journalists and elected and appointed officials while promoting top-drawer events like the Bennett Forum on the Presidency, Wild About Harry, the Truman Book Award, the Truman Medal for Economic Policy, and much more.
• Generous Paid Time Off: Full-time employees enjoy a generous leave package that includes vacation and sick leave, as well as paid federal holidays.
• Robust Retirement Plan: The Institute invests in the future of its employees and offers a substantial contribution to retirement savings.
• Commitment to Learning: The Truman Library Institute values lifelong learning and advances professional development in the form of training, conferences, professional memberships, and other development opportunities.
• Comprehensive Health Benefits: Health benefits include medical and dental insurance, Flexible Spending Account (FSA), life insurance and long-term disability.
• Beautiful Work Environment: The Truman Library Institute is located in the cultural heart of Kansas City, occupying a beautiful suite of offices on the Rockhurst University campus. Enjoy free covered/secure parking, sunlit workspaces, and the opportunity to step onto greenspace to recharge your day.
The Truman Library Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. The Truman Library Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
TO APPLY: Submit resume, cover letter, digital design portfolio and a list of three professional references to email@example.com.
Job Type: Full Time