Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Editorial Assistant—Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
The Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) is looking for an editorial assistant to help us meet the demands of publishing our two peer-reviewed journals, Family Medicine, and PRiMER.
The editorial assistant will be responsible for administering the manuscript submission system that handles incoming article submissions for both journals, as well as some copy editing and layout duties. This includes checking in new submissions according to established procedures, and resolving technical questions from authors, reviewers, and editors about submissions.
The editorial assistant will report to the Publications Manager and Director of Publications, and work with the editorial teams of both journals to support the manuscript submission process. The Society’s headquarters is located in Leawood, Kansas and offers an outstanding work environment, competitive nonprofit salary, vacation and sick time, as well as a 401k and defined benefits plan. The office is currently operating under a hybrid/remote work model. This is a part-time position (21 hours per week).
Think you’re a great fit? Send your resume with a cover letter to STFM Publications Manager Sam Grammer explaining why you’d be an asset to the STFM publications team. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
The main responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administer the online manuscript submission system to check in new manuscripts, ensuring they meet established guidelines prior to peer review
- Answer author, editor, and reviewer email inquiries regarding the manuscript submission system
- Copy edit presentation abstracts for STFM conferences
- Gather data/run reports for the annual editor’s report and publisher’s reports.
- Layout articles for print publication in the Family Medicine journal
- Fulfill requests for archived articles
- Schedule conference calls/meetings for committee and journal work
- Provide administrative support for STFM awards – drafting and sending letters, assembling and disseminating award materials for committee review
- Perform other duties as assigned
Job Skills and Requirements:
- A bachelor's degree in English, journalism, or a related field, and a minimum of 1-2 years of experience in an editorial/publishing environment
- Attentive to detail and highly organized
- Ability to follow written procedures
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment, and to be productive when working remotely
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- High level of proficiency in English grammar, and familiarity with AMA Manual of Style.
- Proficiency in technology, particularly with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Adobe Acrobat, and prefer Adobe InDesign and/or Creative Cloud experience
- Positive attitude toward work tasks
- Ability to receive feedback with a “growth mindset”
- Desire for personal continuous professional development
Job Type: Part Time
Salary Range: Up to $29,999