Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Chief Financial Officer
To be considered for this position you must complete an application and submit your resume to:
For more than 35 years, reStart’s mission has been to provide housing and services to homeless youth, families, men, and women to end homelessness in our community. A pioneer in the field, reStart, Inc. is the only homeless agency in the Kansas City region serving all homeless populations, including singles, couples, gay, straight and transgendered individuals as well as youth ages 12 – 18, non-traditional families, persons with HIV/AIDS and individuals with substance use and mental health related issues.
Provide leadership and direction to the reStart, Inc. organization, its leadership, its Board, and its associates for all matters relating to finance and accounting.
- Develop, coordinate, plan, implement and manage finance/accounting functions with the reStart organization, including operating budgets, investments, collection, and disbursements for all funds: and assist the CEO in the development and evaluation of short and long range financial plans and policies of the organization.
- Provide leadership and direction with the establishment of the organization’s financial plan, as well as measurement and monitoring of the organization’s financial performance past, present and future/projected.
- Implement and document the design and effectiveness of the organization’s internal control environment.
- Provide oversight for agency audit and 990 preparation and serve as liaison to auditing firm.
- Provide oversight for accounting activities and audit for two HUD 811 housing programs.
- Ensure the finance/accounting business processes are efficiently managed, and in full compliance with applicable laws as well as governmental, accreditation and regulatory standards
- Ensure the timely and accurate production and distribution of financial reports, analysis, and related management information as necessary and requested by reStart management, the Board, funders, grantors and related external resources.
- Oversee all financial aspects of the grant process from drafting requests to documenting financial compliance with grant requirements. Work closely with the grants manager in this end to end process. Attention to specific grant details a must.
- Foster and ensure positive, collaborative relationships within and among all staff and board members associated with the overall operations including local community leaders, bank and lending resources, regulatory entities, state, federal and local governments, and related constituencies.
- Coordinate and provide engagement with the Board finance committee.
- Foster a workplace that results in the development of a high performing team of professionals and staff. Recruit, develop and inspire a highly effective team. Insure that staff is property coached and directed, and that clearly defined measurements of performance and rewards are utilized to enhance individual and organizational effectiveness.
- Ensure all finance/accounting processes are efficiently managed, and in full compliance with applicable laws as well as governmental, accreditation, and regulatory standards.
- Ability to provide leadership in the establishment and implementation of strategies and tactics, standards and goals.
- Demonstrate a high level of skill at building business relationships and strategic partnerships internal and external to the organization.
- Demonstrate a strong business and financial acumen as well as substantial knowledge and expertise in social services, grant management and reporting requirements, and related business and administrative functions.
- Capacity to analyze, synthesize and communicate complex data, financial information, and related issues in an accurate, objective and straightforward manner.
- Demonstrate a high level of problem solving skill. Demonstrate the ability to make critical business decisions supported by substantive financial analysis, clinical knowledge, and critical data.
- Demonstrate interpersonal savvy and influencing skills in all dealings with the Board, government entities, financial community, and regulatory entities.
- Ability to travel throughout the city to monitor operational performance and activity, and to establish relationships with key resources and affiliates.
- Ability to establish and maintain clearly defined measurements of services, to include statistics, financial data, benchmarking, billing information and service evaluations.
- Ability to work closely with CEO, Board and development staff to ensure adequate financial resources are obtained to allow reStart to successfully fulfill its mission.
- Demonstrated success and expertise in critical areas defined under the role of the CFO within an organization of similar size and scope.
- Proven interpersonal skills in coaching, problem-solving and conflict resolution at the organizational, managerial and individual levels.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to assimilate large amounts of information and present complicated financial information in an understandable, concise and accurate manner.
- Requisite knowledge and/or professional training on certification and accreditation in all areas of responsibility.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree and/or CPA preferred
- Unique understanding of not-for-profit accounting systems with ten years minimum accounting experience required. Individual must possess current and relevant knowledge of contemporary financial and accounting rules, laws, and regulations.