Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Early Refugee School Impact Specialist
Please apply at: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/1940605/Catholic-Charities-of-Northeast-Kansas-INC/Specialist-Early-Refugee-School-Impact
POSITION SUMMARY:Successfully promote and support the mission of Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas as guided by the Catholic Social Teachings by providing educational opportunities for refugees and immigrants through the Early Refugee School Impact (ERSI) program. The goal of the ERSI program is to orient newly arrived refugee parents and young children (ages 0-5) to preschool programs, engage both parents and students in preschool, and help refugee students to improve their academic experience and have increased educational success. EEO.
- Schedule and facilitate orientations to preschool programs for refugee parents and children
- Enroll refugee children in preschool programs and public school and prepare families for the first day of school
- Develop and maintain partnerships with local preschool program personnel to ensure orientation information is relevant
- Coordinate parent & student engagement activities
- Research school-related issues in the refugee community and develop strategies to improve interactions between refugee families and the schools
- Assist in planning, organizing and facilitating youth summer camp
- Research, plan and implement new opportunities for parent and youth engagement and other RSI-allowable activities
- Research and connect refugee families to existing summer and after-school programs
- Research and connect families with children 0-5 to childcare programs and assistance
- Train and manage new volunteers, and help create new volunteer opportunities.
- Enroll, track, case note, and record attendance in RSI/ERSI activities in various platforms
- Other duties as assigned
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
- Demonstrate a passion for the mission of Catholic Charities
- Must be willing to perform by the agency’s values: love, patience, kindness, faithfulness, self-control and joy
- Catholic Charities promotes a diverse workforce. Employees are not required to be Catholic, however, employees of Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas must understand that they are a visible representative of the Archdiocesan Church and as such will not publicly oppose the teachings of the Catholic Faith nor publicly advocate for any position in conflict with Catholic teaching or the specific positions of the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas or the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. This requirement includes any public speech, demonstration, or writing including the use of social media or other digital technologies
- Must complete VIRTUS training, background screening, drug testing, and any ongoing training as required
- Fluency in English
- Fluency in Swahili or Dari preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in education or related degree required
- TESOL certificate & teaching experience with diverse populations preferred
- Understanding of public education system preferred
- Comfort working with both adults and young students (grades K-12)
- Demonstrate excellent organizational skills, ability to multitask and attention to detail
- Patience and motivation to work with learners with limited English proficiency
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office and related programs
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to communicate and respect people from a variety of social, economic and ethnic backgrounds
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable car and vehicle insurance
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer, standing, bending and moving
- Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds
- Must have the physical ability to complete assignments in a variety of environments: homes of those we serve, extreme heat, humidity, dust, smoke, pet contamination, cleaning supplies, etc.
- May be exposed to infectious diseases
- Must have the physical ability to make visits to a variety of environments that may include walking on rough terrain and climbing stairs
- Must have physical ability to effectively communicate with others
- Must have the physical ability and appropriate licensure for driving
- Most of the job duties require the employee to sit for longer periods of time.
- Most of the job duties require use of a computer, which require repetitive keyboard and mouse motions, as well as prolonged viewing of a computer screen.
If you have further questions about the role, we’d be happy to talk with you about this position. Feel free to reach out to Aimee Perera at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Type: Full Time