Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Violence Prevention AmeriCorps VISTA
Since 1975 Metropolitan Organization to Counter Sexual Assault (MOCSA) has been an essential part of the Kansas City metro. Our mission to improve the lives of those impacted by sexual abuse and assault, and to prevent sexual violence in our community. MOCSA is seeking a Violence Prevention AmeriCorps VISTA to join our dynamic organization of diverse, dedicated and innovative individuals.
MOCSA is recruiting two Americorps VISTAs to assist with the implementation and planning of community violence prevention programming in Wyandotte County, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri.
The Violence Prevention AmeriCorps VISTA will build MOCSA’s capacity to prevent multiple forms of violence at the community level through community engagement, assessment, and the development and implementation of prevention strategies.
- Engage stakeholders and participate in efforts to build capacity around violence prevention at a community level.
- Work with MOCSA staff to expand community partner knowledge of a public health approach to violence prevention engage partners in new and existing prevention programming.
- Seek out community engagement opportunities, stakeholder meetings, outreach fairs, and community events to build relationships in the community and represent MOCSA at these opportunities.
- Assist in coalition development, including meeting planning, partner follow-up, record keeping, and reporting.
- Lead implementation of community projects in alignment with violence prevention goals.
- Comfort and/or experience working with community members.
- A basic understanding of or interest in the field of sexual abuse and assault.
- Ability to perform administrative, computer-based tasks.
- Interest in public health issues.
- Must have a driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Clear criminal and child abuse background screen.
- Strong interpersonal and problem solving skills.
VISTA Program Benefits:
- Living Allowance
- Stipend (for Kansas position only)
- Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend
- Relocation allowance
- Health Coverage
- Childcare assistance if eligible
- The person in this position will have the opportunity to gain experience and knowledge in working with prevention strategies, the nonprofit environment, and the greater community.
- Mileage reimbursement, and networking opportunities.
- Training and professional development opportunities including MOCSA’s 40 hour training, weekly supervision, and continuing education workshops.
Physical and Mental Demands:
As a result of the coronavirus pandemic, most work will be performed from home through the end of the year. While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to sit, walk and stand; talk or hear, both in person and by telephone; use hands repetitively to finger, handle, feel or operate standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; and lift up to 25 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data, information and documents; analyze and solve non-routine and complex problems; use math and mathematical reasoning; observe and interpret situations; learn and apply new information or skills; perform highly detailed work on multiple, concurrent tasks; work under intensive deadlines with frequent interruptions; and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
MOCSA is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities.
Apply through the Americorps portal for each position
Applicants will screen with the Americorps host agencies prior to being offered an interview with MOCSA.