Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Admissions and Pet Retention Counselor
Wayside Waifs is Kansas City's largest and most comprehensive no kill pet adoption campus. Since 1944, we have been working diligently to partner pets and community for life. Wayside Waifs strives to enrich the lives of abandoned, abused and homeless animals until they find a new family home. We care for more than 6,500 animals every year. Wayside is a private, independent, nonprofit 501 (c)(3) charity with no government funding. We depend on the generosity of the community to continue our life-saving work.
Wayside Waifs is currently seeking to fill the position of Admissions and Pet Retention Counselor, whose primary responsibility is to ensure that all aspects of the animal intake process are handled in a smooth, friendly, and efficient manner, while providing exceptional customer service and compassionate counsel to members of the public when surrendering their pets. This position requires direct animal handling and the ability to perform all intake procedures including blood draws, vaccines, and other necessary intake activities.
PRIMARY ACCOUNTABILITIESEnsure that all animals are provided the highest level of care, are treated with respect and compassion, and that all job functions are performed at a standard to achieve overall operational goals for the organization.
- Ensure smooth and efficient flow of the animal intake process by:
- Processing all intake surveys, assessing the animal’s adoptability and scheduling appointments.
- Coordinating and executing shelter-to-shelter transfers.
- Demonstrating a high level of communication with the Admissions Manager and other teammates.
- Establish and demonstrate effective working relationships with the public and co-workers, animal control, volunteers, and transferring partners.
- Ensure the public has a positive experience when surrendering an animal to Wayside Waifs by delivering exceptional and knowledgeable customer service.
- Attend required training to enhance knowledge and animal handling skills.
- Comply with all Wayside Waifs’ policies and best practices, including a high standard of dependability for punctuality and attendance.
- Pull surveys off website and respond within 24-48 hours.
- Document observed behavior and medical status of animals during intake and enter into shelter software platform.
- Provide counsel and information to the public about all shelter services, policies and procedures, as well as community resources available for their pet.
- Impound all animals into the shelter software platform.
- Assist with transfers including travel to other shelters to acquire animals, load and unload crates, disinfect crates and vehicle.
- Additional related tasks as assigned.
- Exceptional customer service and animal management skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, multi-task and manage time wisely as required for success in the position.
- Ability to coach and counsel the public under stressful situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with co-workers, management and public while demonstrating an upbeat, team-oriented and positive attitude.
- Ability to perform clerical duties such as data entry, answering a multi-line phone system, returning phone calls, filing, making copies as needed, etc.
- Coordinate with other departments as needed.
- General computer experience required.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with people in a variety of high-stress situations.
- Experience reading animal body language is a benefit. We handle dogs, cats and small mammals which requires a basic understanding of animal behavior.
- Previous shelter experience and/or knowledge of shelter transport programs preferred.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs to waist height in order to move animals from kennels, lift food bags, and push and pull a force (i.e. pushing water with the squeegee).
- Repetitive bending, kneeling, stooping and similar movements required
- Must be able to physically restrain animals weighing up to and including 100 lbs
- Able to work with exposure to wet and/or humid conditions and outside weather condition.
- Significant amount of standing during a typical day, exposure to fumes, animal smells and airborne particles.
- Noise level is moderate to high.
- Exposure to animal waste.
- High School diploma or GED
- Medical, Dental, Life, Vision and Long Term Disability
- PTO (Vacation and Sick Time)
- Six and a half paid Holidays
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.waysidewaifs.org. You may also send your resume, cover letter, and three professional references directly to: Melissa Crites, Human Resources Manager - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Just as Wayside Waifs has committed to providing compassionate care for the thousands of homeless animals who enter our shelter each year, we are equally committed to providing a healthy and humane working environment for our employees. Wayside Waifs is an EOE and is looking for diversity in candidates for employment.
Job Type: Full Time