Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Director of Operations
Director of Operations
Purpose: The Director of Operations serves as the primary point of contact for internal constituencies on all matters pertaining to Internal Operations and is responsible for the general administration of office operations and human resource management for the UMKC Foundation. The Director must be entrepreneurial, a self-starter and enjoy working in a small business environment that is mission-driven, results-driven, and community-oriented. The ideal individual will have three or more years’ experience working in operations or human resource, has worked in a fast-paced environment, has the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, has strong written, verbal communication and organizational skills and is able to multi-task several activities successfully. The Director will have the ability to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
Work Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday. Optional flex-time is available (two days per week) after 90 days of employment.
Organizational Relationship: This position reports to the President.
Essential Duties: The Director of Operations:
- Assists in establishment of codes for fund agreement establishment
- Tracks and Logs New Gift Agreements
- Assists in Foundation and Corporate proposal submissions by securing paperwork that is required for submissions – such as 990s, W-9s, 501(c)3 Determination Letter, etc.
- Reviews Standard Gift Agreements for approvals
- Participates in weekly coordination meetings with Gift Processing, Annual Giving, Stewardship, and Prospect Management
- Manages a variety of special organizational projects for the President
- Manages the work-study program for the Foundation, ensuring students receive cross-training to perform exceptionally in multiple office environments.
- Oversees state compliance registration for fundraising (Clearly Compliant)
- Management of the HR System (Paycor) including updates, and employ additions and removals, and benefits forms
- Oversees the Performance Review Process
- Oversees Paid Time Off for all Foundation Employees
- Manages payroll
- Oversees the HR process to ensure compliance with SHRM
- Oversees onboarding, training of employees
- Oversees annual benefit review/updates and monthly billing
- Creates, posts and tracks position descriptions for new positions and conducts periodic reviews of descriptions
- Manages all HR forms for insurance and retirement benefits
- Coordinates staff coverage of office open hours and manages coverage for holidays as needed
- Completes all compulsory HR requirement forms
- Annually reviews HR manual and suggests updates and changes
- Coordinates HR training process for Diversity and Inclusion, Confidentiality, Sexual Harassment, etc.
- Initial point of contact for employee relations
- Works closely and effectively with the President
- Ability to quickly and accurately process UMKC Foundation procedures and policies
- Ability to respond effectively to sensitive inquires and/or complaints
- The ability to interact comfortably, tactfully, and effectively with varied internal and external constituencies is essential
- Must display a high level of maturity and personal integrity and ability to understand, develop, and sustain resilient and dynamic relationships with colleagues and senior management
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work without supervision in a small office environment.
- Ability to take initiative and complete project assignments independently and in a timely manner.
- The individual must exhibit a pleasant and welcoming demeanor.
- Organizational skills and performing job requirements efficiently and in an orderly fashion.
- Ability to maintain high degree of privacy and confidentiality.
- Ability to hold a valid driver’s license.
Work Environment: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. This is a no-smoking work environment. The work environment is located on the second-floor level of a three-story building. Some evening work hours are required at various times throughout the year; however, this is minimal and on occasions defined well in advance.
Salary Range: Commensurate to experience.
UMKC Foundation: The UMKC Foundation is a separate but affiliated enterprise that is devoted to raising funds for the university, and for exercising fiduciary responsibility over endowments and other philanthropic investments made to UMKC.
Job Type: Full Time