Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Director of Organizing
Job Title: Director of Organizing
OVERLAND PARK, KS /Public Affairs
Job Status: Full-Time Pay Range: $65,000-80,000 annually
Department: Public Affairs Job Classification: Exempt
Reports to: VP of People, Culture, and Equity
The Director of Organizing will serve as the primary point person to support PPGP policy and community-building campaigns.
Essential Job Functions:
- In coordination with the VP of People, Culture, and Equity, develop long-range strategic organizing plans which promote access to comprehensive sexual and reproductive health care and education, while centering justice, equity, diversity and inclusion (JEDI), through voter registration, coalition building, and the development of statewide grass tops/grassroots/and concrete root networks.
- Oversee electoral, advocacy and organizing strategies for PPGP and its advocacy arm, Planned Parenthood Great Plains Votes.
- Serve as a key organizational leader, responsible for coordinating the GenX/Organizer Fellowship program, activating youth voter engagement in communities of color within PPGP’s four-state affiliate—Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma – and directing our advocacy organizing program.
- Engage long-term supporters to create change and build the power of young people, and other marginalized people in the electorate in PPGP’s affiliate.
- Supervise and support organizing staff members across PPGP’s four states by helping to create objectives, outreach plans, and community partnerships.
- Review regular reports from organizers and create affiliate-wide reports on organizing efforts and outreach goals.
· Other duties as assigned.
o Judgment & Decision Making – Demonstrates initiative to identify and analyze issues. Ability to propose solutions. Seeks guidance for complex challenges. Gains agreement and alignment before making changes. Completes thorough review of prior decisions before suggesting modifications.
o Reasoning Ability - Capacity for consciously making sense of things, applying logic, establishing and verifying facts, and changing or justifying practices, institutions, and beliefs based on new or existing information.
o Interpersonal Awareness – Ability to understand team members’ priorities and works to address others’ concerns. Builds collaborative relationships.
o Thoroughness – Establishes procedures to ensure high quality work. Checks the accuracy of work performed by self and others. Uses systems to organize and track information or work progress. Carefully prepares for meetings and presentations.
o Self-driven work style, including strengths in being resourceful, innovating and finding creative solutions to problems, and achieving goals and following plans without needing close supervision
o Strong management skills, including setting goals, delegating and communicating effectively, fostering a culture of accountability and giving and receiving feedback
This position does have supervisory responsibilities.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.; however, evening and weekend hours will be required to support community organizing events.
Travel Requirements: 30% - site visits throughout AR, KS, MO, and OK; team engagements; travel will fluctuate based on election support cycles, and will depend on geographic distribution of organizing staff members.
Required Education and Experience
3-5 years of organizing, political and/or advocacy experience
2-3 years of experience managing teams
At least 1 cycle of experience in a managing role for electoral campaigns
Experiencing drafting and implementing electoral and advocacy organizing campaign plans
Commitment to anti-racist, feminist, and culturally competent approaches to learning, leading, and organizing
Preferred Education and Experience
An ideal candidate will be an experienced organizer with a proven track record of leading effective large-scale voter engagement campaigns and winning issue campaigns at the local and state level who is deeply invested in making PPGP more just and equitable and brings curiosity, a strategic mindset, a strong solutions orientation, and the ability to manage teams and systems for equity and effectiveness.
Given the scope of impact, the Director of Organizing must be entrepreneurial and innovative to fully embrace the mindset that the “Whole is Greater than the Sum” and work across the team and organization to maximize the team’s reach and impact. The Director of Organizing will ensure all touches are focused on leadership development, impact, equity, and dismantling anti-racist practices in the electoral process.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $50,000 - 74,999