Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Operations and Planning Manager
The Kansas City Streetcar Authority (KCSA) is seeking a full-time OPERATIONS / PLANNING MANAGER to support the management and oversight of KC Streetcar maintenance and operations activities and serve as key support for operations and planning related project management functions for the authority’s planned extensions of the KC Streetcar system.
The KC Streetcar is currently a modern 2-mile rail transit line in downtown Kansas City with planned extensions that will extend the route north to the Berkley Riverfront and south to the University of Missouri-Kansas City.
The KCSA is a 501C-3 organization responsible for overseeing and supporting the operation, maintenance, marketing, public outreach, and expansion of the KC Streetcar system and is hiring for permanent full-time positions within its staffing structure.
The OPERATIONS / PLANNING MANAGER position will play an important role on the KCSA team and work directly with the Executive Director to develop, support, and manage day-to-day operations and maintenance oversight functions of the current system. This position will also support operations and planning related coordination responsibilities on the KC Streetcar extension projects, which may involve alternative reporting structures depending on project. This is a newly formed position with the KCSA and as such the selected candidate will have the unique opportunity to help define and shape the role of this important position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The following represents the essential functions of this position. Additional duties may also be assigned and be essential to the successful performance of this position.
· Directly support the Executive Director in the oversight and management of day-to-day operations and maintenance activities on behalf of KCSA.
- Produce operational reports, analysis, and findings related to system performance and condition.
- Participate in, support, and conduct a range of system audits as may be required and/or requested by the Federal Transit Administration, City of Kansas City, Missouri, or KCSA Executive Director.
- Support the management and oversight of KC Streetcar operations and maintenance contractors and subcontractors.
- Support the coordination and staffing of operations related system expansion activities including supporting the Main Street Extension, the Riverfront Extension, and future additional expansion efforts.
- Participate in and support planning work groups and staff meetings on extension planning.
- Support the management and coordination of operations-related consultant support and external contractors.
- Participate in and support integrated testing, pre-revenue operations, and rail activation for planned route extensions.
- Work closely with project partners including Herzog Transit (operations contractor), the City of Kansas City, the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority, PortKC, the FTA, and other project partners as needed to support day-to-day KCSA operations and maintenance activities.
- Support KCSA staff and KC Streetcar contractors in the planning of programs, logistics, and other activities requiring maintenance and operations related coordination.
- Support and respond to inquiries from the general public, transit riders, and downtown stakeholders as may be needed.
- Serve as lead staff to KCSA’s Operations Committee to support on-going engagement of KCSA Board of Directors and stakeholders in operational planning and our pursuit of continuous improvement.
General Office Equipment, Personal Computer, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat products.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
Education and Experience
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in planning, engineering, or other degree that may be applicable to the duties described plus a minimum of ten years related experience in transportation planning, public transit, operations, or other related field. A graduate degree in a related field and experience with a public transportation agency, local government, or nonprofit organization is strongly preferred.
Position requires experience in project management, transit planning, and transit operations. The position requires ability to manage multiple projects under deadline; excellent oral/written communication/ and analytical skills; ability to work with diverse groups as well as with external stakeholders, contractors, and internal staff; and requires a strong customer service orientation and a desire to pursue continuous improvement.
Licenses and Certification
Certification from American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP), Certified Data Management Professional (CDMP), certified project manager, or Professional Engineer (PE) or other closely related credentials preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of urban and regional planning, transportation planning, environmental planning, and community planning and/or other related disciplines.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public transportation, transition operations and maintenance, and the role and requirements related federal funding.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles of research, standard statistical procedures, sources of planning information, and techniques used in the preparation of materials for presentation.
- Analytical abilities required to collect, integrate and interpret data from various sources, to produce information and reports, and to develop, evaluate, and present planning information and analysis.
- Skill in managing projects, staff assigned to specific projects, and the corresponding budgets, schedules, and general communications.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to effectively interact with and manage internal staff.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate with the general public, media, and outside organizations to successfully present information, respond to questions and consult with others.
- Public speaking skills necessary to effectively interact with committees, governmental bodies, the general public, and outside organizations to successfully and accurately present information.
- Effective writing skills to accurately and succinctly summarize highly technical data into an organized and easy-to-read format.
- Skill in operating computer programs and applications using spreadsheet, database, word processing, geographic information systems, project management and other relevant programs.
- Skill in interpreting complex graphic and/or computer output related to the urban planning process.
- Working knowledge of coding and application development languages.
- Skill in identifying and developing grant opportunities and submitting grant proposals.
This job operates in a professional office environment (located at 600 E. 3rd St, KCMO) and in the field in the area of the physical and/or planned streetcar alignments. The role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The job requires occasional use of a motor vehicle.
- This job will, from time-to-time, require the support of operations and maintenance activities during nights, weekend, and holidays.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The position is occasionally required to operate a motor vehicle.
- Occasional regional travel by car in the Kansas City area is expected for this position.
- Must possess current legal authorization to work in the United States and not require sponsorship now or in the future (i.e., H1-B, F-1, or TN visas or any other non-immigrant status).
Interested candidates should submit resume to Ebony Jackson, Office Manager, KCSA, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the KC Streetcar, visit www.kcstreetcar.org, or find KC Streetcar (@kcstreetcar) on Vimeo, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Position open until filled.
The KCSA is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full Time