Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Director of Community Planning
BikeWalkKC seeks an urban planner to join our leadership team and help us make walking and biking simple solutions to complex problems of mobility, equity, sustainability, health, recreation, livability, and prosperity.
This is a unique opportunity for a planning professional to join a mission-driven nonprofit organization and have a tangible impact on the Greater Kansas City community. The Director of Community Planning is responsible for leading all activities and functions of BikeWalkKC’s value-oriented fee-for-service planning program. Duties include project management, planning and programmatic work, business development, and proposal writing.
About the Community Planning program
BikeWalkKC is one of a handful of mobility advocacy nonprofits that utilize in-house urban planning as a strategy to achieve our mission of making our streets places for people to build a culture of active living. We believe that people who walk, bike, roll, and use transit should not just have a seat at the table with planners and decision makers, but should be leading the work to plan for a healthier and more sustainable built environment.
We provide a wide range of community planning, technical assistance, education, public policy, programming, and other services. Our clients include municipalities, counties, school districts, and other agencies across the bi-state Kansas City metro area. BikeWalkKC is also part of Missourians for Responsible Transportation, a collaboration of the state’s local mobility advocacy nonprofits that provide planning and public policy support to smaller communities across Missouri.
Some of our recent work includes:
- Community Dashboard
- Home Street Home – interactive Complete Streets experience
- KCMO Bike Infrastructure Demand Analysis
- KCMO Woodland Plaza Equitable Mobility Strategy
- North Kansas City, MO Bicycle Master Plan
- Roeland Park, KS Bike/Ped Infrastructure Strategy
As a nonprofit organization, BikeWalkKC uses advocacy, education, research, and planning to advance our mission of making our streets places for people. Our office culture is both collaborative and kind. Everyone is motivated by our mission, and a shared sense of purpose.
The organization offers flexible benefits, a friendly work environment, IRA, parental leave, paid time off, and flexible working arrangements. Please visit: https://bikewalkkc.org/plannng to learn more about our planning program and https://bikewalkkc.org to learn more about our organization.
These are the outcomes that we want the next Community Planning Director to lead us in achieving. Some of these you will do hands on, and some you will lead in partnership with co-workers, vendors, consultants, or outside partners. The specific mix will depend on the selected applicant.
1. Produce high quality planning products that give clients and local communities actionable plans and tools.
- Provide excellent planning service for our active transportation and community outreach clients and partners.
- Produce technical documents like plans, reports, maps, GIS analyses, data analyses, etc.
- Utilize software tools such as GIS, Adobe Creative Suite, Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, Zoom, Slack, and Asana to meet organizational needs.
- Lead the maintenance and future expansion of our Community Dashboard product on the MySidewalk platform
2. Develop new business and revenue to sustain the work of the planning program and contribute to the overall financial success of the organization.
- Cultivate relationships with current and potential clients in the government, private, and nonprofit sectors to maintain and expand our planning work
- Lead the writing of fee-for-service proposals, budgets, and project scopes
- Lead the building of project teams with private sector and nonprofit partners
- Assist the Executive Director and Development/Communications Director in conceiving and writing grant proposals to fund planning work
3. Engage with the community to ensure the planning program is producing work that meets community needs, goals, and aspirations,
- Lead community engagement work, such as public speaking, stakeholder coordination, and meeting planning
- Represent the organization in meetings and to a variety of public agencies, businesses, community groups and other nonprofit organizations
- Foster collaborative working relationships to accomplish mutual goals and objectives.
- Partner with the Executive Director and the Policy Director to identify where planning efforts and policy advocacy can collaborate and advance the overall organizational mission to create excellent mobility choices and vibrant, healthy neighborhoods.
4. Provide excellent project management to ensure we are providing good value to our clients and maximizing our available resources
- Manage projects, resources, budgets, and contractors.
- Coordinate with other teams in the organization when extra staffing and other supports are needed to deliver projects
The Director of Community Planning is part of our leadership team. You will collaborate with your colleagues in strategic planning, mission and values definition, budgeting, impact evaluation, and project coordination across teams and work groups.
Full job descriptionPlease refer to the full job description on our web site for qualifications, compensation, and application instructions.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $50,000 - 74,999