Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Food Service Cook
Rose Brooks Center
Notice of Job Posting
Food Service Cook Non-Exempt (POSN# 23-001-FT-FSC)
Rose Brooks Center, a non-profit domestic violence agency is currently hiring a Full-time Food Service Cook to prepare, cook, and serve meals and assist with meal planning in a residential setting for approximately 100 persons. This position will maintain clean and organized kitchen appliances, tools and food storage areas. The Food Service Cook provides excellent customer service when serving and interacting with clients and others and will follow agency and safe serve guidelines set by governing agencies. This position must have, or be able to acquire a Safe Serve Certification and Manager-level Food Handler’s License within 30-days. This position reports to the Kitchen Manager.
Days/Hours needed will vary and include evenings, weekends, and some holidays. Pay differential for weekend shifts/holidays.
- Meal Preparation
- Plan and organize food preparation and serving operations to meet fixed schedules. Prepare, cook and serve meals, and assist with meal planning when needed.
- Depending on shift, prepare breakfast, lunch and/or dinner meals timely using menus and instructions set by Kitchen Manager.
- Cook meals according to menu plans. Understand and carry out oral and written instructions; maintain appropriate amounts of ingredients ready for preparation and adapt meals to accommodate special dietary needs;
- Work with RBC staff to provide food/supplies and snacks for residents who are out of the shelter (i.e. work, appointments).
- Communicate all verbal comments about food requests.
- Ensure that adequate amounts of ingredients for all meals are available and ready for preparation.
- Knowledge of Food Service
- Understand and follow correct food service procedures and safe food handling guidelines; utilize “first in, first out” procedures and rotate food to prevent spoilage.
- Understand methods of preparing and serving foods in large quantities; understand the safe use of manual and mechanical kitchen equipment.
- Complete necessary records related to food and shelter supplies for various Food Programs as assigned.
- Communicate supply needs to Kitchen Manager.
- Manage meal service and ensure proper clean up.
- Serve meals and clean food line.
- Wash dishes, pots and pans or other daily cleaning tasks according to guidelines.
- Maintain the cleanliness and organization of the kitchen, appliances, and food storage areas.
- Perform standard, daily cleaning preparation and storage guidelines set by Agency, KCMO Health department, USDA and FDA guidelines, Child Adult Care Food Program and pest control procedures.
- Follow safe food handling guidelines when serving food.
- Organize and carryout regular thorough cleaning of the kitchen, appliances, and storage areas.
- Unload food and supply deliveries and move to appropriate storage area and maintain a clean, organized and well stocked supply and food storage area.
Other aspects of the position:
- Assist with special events in the dining room.
- Assists Director of Volunteer Services with volunteer events related to food service and special events.
- Perform job functions in accordance to policies/procedures while demonstrating proficiency in all RBC Competencies.
- High School Diploma or equivalent and minimum 6 months related work experience preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service and problem solving skills
- Work effectively both independently and as part of a small team
- Current Safe Serve Certification and Manager level Food Handler License or the ability to attain within 30 days.
- Ability to lift and carry at least 30 lbs. and up to 50 lbs with assistance; Ability to stand for extended time
- Must meet the personal health and hygiene standards set by the KCMO Health Department and other regulatory agencies
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to: HumanResources@RoseBrooks.org
or mail to PO Box 320599 Kansas City, MO 64132
Deadline: Open until filled per qualifications. For questions about this position, please contact Human Resources 816-523-5550 x7108. Background screening required including Division of Family Services.
Rose Brooks Center is an equal opportunity employer who values and embraces diversity.
Job Type: Full Time