Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Gleaning Coordinator - Kansas City & Douglas County Regions
Gleaning Coordinator Job Description
After the Harvest is hiring multiple part-time, seasonal, gleaning coordinators to lead and assist with the logistics of gleanings at local farms and orchards through this growing season. We are looking to hire multiple positions for the Greater Kansas City region, and one position for the Douglas County region. This position, which starts mid-May and continues through October, presents a very special opportunity for the right, nature-loving and people-oriented individual who wants to make a difference in our community.
About After the Harvest
After the Harvest rescues nutritious fruits and vegetables from going to waste and donates them to agencies that serve hungry people. Our volunteers glean after the harvest, picking what’s left in farmers’ fields and picking up already harvested leftover produce. The majority of the funds we raise helps secure semi-truckloads of donated produce that might otherwise end up in landfills. After the Harvest, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is the largest local produce donor to Harvesters—The Community Food Network.
Gleaning Coordinators assist with the logistics of gleanings and market pickups including planning, leading, and follow-up. We value our partnership with our farmers and gleaning coordinators ensure that farmers have positive experiences with ATH and volunteer gleaners. We value our volunteers equally, and require that coordinators engage them, work right along with them, make sure they are having a good time and ensure their safety while gleaning.
- Assist Gleaning Network Manager with planning and communications with volunteers, farmers, food banks and pantries prior to gleaning events.
- Meet and supervise volunteers at farms and orchards, explain farm-specific instructions and ensure safety during gleaning.
- Determine food distribution at the end of the gleaning, including communicating with food agencies and volunteer drivers. Also includes delivering produce when needed.
- Communicate with farmers before, during, and after gleanings.
- Take photos and engage in social media during and after gleaning.
- Ensure accurate recordkeeping of gleaning event and entry into database.
- Work with agencies to ensure receipts are received for food donations.
- Help to recruit and communicate with farmers as directed by Gleaning Network Manager.
- Assist with pickups at weekend farmers markets.
- Other duties as time allows.
- Driver’s license, good driving record, reliable vehicle to travel to farms (usually within 30-45 min. of KC for Greater KC region, and 30-45 min. of Lawrence, KS for Douglas County region) and to transport produce in the trunk or other. Ability to drive ATH produce van when needed.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lb. boxes.
- Prescheduled gleanings take place on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday mornings from 7:30am-10:30am. Coordinator will need to be available from 7:15am to 12pm on those days to allow for delivery of produce and data entry. During busy weeks, you may be responsible for leading an additional gleaning. We will work with your schedule. Additional gleanings can take place seven days a week (including some infrequent Sundays), depending on when farmers’ crops are ready to harvest.
- Coordinators are also expected to help with some Saturday or Sunday market pickups each month.
- Some office work will be required after gleanings and possibly on non-gleaning days.
- Ability to work with volunteers of all ages and backgrounds, including small children
- Ability to lead groups
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with Salesforce and/or horticulture, a plus
- Microsoft Office and basic computer skills
- Mid-May through early October
- 10-15 hours a week in May and the beginning of June, increasing to 15-20 hours during July through September. 4-5 hours a day, usually in the morning
- $13-$15 per hour
- Mileage and phone reimbursement
- Learn about local farms and horticulture
Job Type: Temporary