Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Community Outreach Coordinator AmeriCorps VISTA (2 positions available)
Do you want to be an agent of change in the lives of youth? Want to build diverse skills in a fun, professional nonprofit setting? Need to decide what direction to take next, but still have college debt or education to pay for?
“The YVC team is a lot of fun… It’s a great environment. I’m excited to go to work every day and I think that’s really special.” – Hannah, AmeriCorps VISTA member at YVC
Check out this short video to learn about VISTA service at YVC!
This full-time, 12-month AmeriCorps VISTA position could be right for you! Strong skills are needed, but experience isn’t required; training and resources will be provided. VISTA members receive professional development and experience, but opportunities for future employment aren’t guaranteed. Multiple positions are available at YVC, and candidates may apply for more than one position.
Youth Volunteer Corps (YVC) is headquartered in Kansas City, with service programs for young people ages 11-18 in the U.S. and Canada. We create volunteer opportunities to address community needs and to inspire youth for a lifetime commitment to service. Since 1987, YVC has engaged over 300,000 youth volunteers in more than 5 million hours of service to their communities – and we want more!
YVC seeks an ambitious, creative candidate to launch, grow, and sustain YVC programs in Kansas and Missouri. The Community Outreach Coordinator will support YVC’s newest growth strategy and report to the Director of Program Impact. Members work with a team of VISTAs and YVCHQ staff to move YVC’s mission forward. The ideal candidate is inspired to empower others, brings their unique strengths to every opportunity, and has a personal commitment to growth through service.
Location and Culture: The YVC office is in a beautifully restored historic home in the Quality Hill District of downtown Kansas City. Here you’ll find energy, enthusiasm, and loyalty to the idea that youth service can change the world. We believe any community with a youth willing to serve is one where YVC belongs, and the Community Outreach Coordinator will help bring this dream to life in Kansas, Missouri, and beyond.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
Note: Most work is based from YVC’s office Kansas City, with approximately 10-15 days a year traveling to YVC regional programs.
- Develop and implement plans to introduce, establish, and promote YVC regional programs
- Evaluate the potential to expand existing YVC regional programs
- Communicate regularly with civic leaders, nonprofits, schools, and other key partners
- Help recruit, interview, and hire program directors
- Plan and facilitate orientation and training for program directors
- Provide ongoing support for program directors
- Coordinate remotely with nonprofit agencies to schedule meaningful service projects for teams of youth based on community needs, capacity, and demand
- Help design volunteer projects with icebreakers, team builders, service-learning activities and reflection
- Help recruit 10-12 youth ages 11-18 to participate in each week of programming through outreach, presentations, program promotion, and other strategies
- Develop, participate in, and facilitate trainings for network-wide YVC programs
- Develop resources for the YVC network
- Support YVC’s aim to eradicate poverty through VISTA service
- Be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. permanent resident
- Pass all background checks
- Valid driver’s license
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; equivalent experience considered
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
YVC needs someone with:
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing
- A sense of urgency that drives organization, prioritization, and reliability
- The ability to think creatively and strategically to solve problems
- A resiliency to changing situations and ambiguity
AmeriCorps VISTA Member Compensation:
- A living allowance of $479.08 is provided every two weeks.
- Upon completion of 12-month term, CNCS provides a $6,095 Education Award for college loans or future education expenses. Those without loans or plans for future education can receive a smaller cash stipend of $1,800, in lieu of the Education Award.
AmeriCorps VISTA Member Benefits:
- $200 housing reimbursement at the end of each month
- Up to $150 mileage reimbursement for members commuting 30+ miles one way to YVCHQ at the end of each month
- 10 vacation days and 10 sick days
- Professional development opportunities
- Relocation or settling-in allowance (if moving 50+ miles for service)
- Federal student loan forbearance and deferment
- Healthcare, childcare, and other benefits available
Please send your resume and cover letter to Amanda Moser at email@example.com. Please highlight specific experience and explain why this position is one you desire.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until candidates are placed.
VISTA members begin on predetermined orientation dates and will be hired approximately 3 weeks prior to their start date. Upcoming orientation dates are: October 28, November 12, December 9, 2019
Job Type: Full Time,Temporary