Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Community Programs Manager
To view the complete job description and apply, click here.
Position: Community Programs Manager
Reports to: Director of Development & Community Engagement
Supervises: Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator, Customer Care Supervisor
Salary: $30,000-$38,000 (depending on experience and qualifications)
The community programs manager (CPM) provides strategic management of the Lawrence Humane Society’s public programs, including adoptions, the volunteer program, public medical services, and community engagement and education functions of the agency. S/he will partner closely with the director of development and community engagement (DOD) to design and manage strategic and sustainable programs that position LHS as a resource to an expanding segment of the public, while simultaneously increasing efficiency and effectiveness of existing programs. S/he will support the DOD’s role in developing engagement efforts in order to drive broad awareness and visibility for the organization’s important work in the community.
The MCP reports to the DOD and supervises a the custome care supervisor and volunteer and outreach coordinator. The CPM will provide support and professional recommendations to the DOD.
- Adoption Programs
- Manages on- and off-site adoption programs and develops concepts, programs, and initiatives to advance and maximize on- and off-site adoptions.
- ?Oversees adoption staff and assigned volunteers, and manages effective training, development, and management of associated personnel.
- Develops, maintains, and evaluates processes and procedures to facilitate the timely flow of adoptable animals to on- and off-site adoption areas.
- Reviews, develops, and updates adoption practices and procedures to ensure efficient and economical use of resources.
- ?Public Services
- Manages public service programs, including microchipping and low-cost spay and neuter services, and develops concepts to increase efficiency of and patronage to LHS services.
- In collaboration with the Chief Veterinarian and/or clinic supervisor, oversees the creation and management of public surgery schedules and check-in/check-out processes and procedures.
- ?Volunteer Program
- Oversees the volunteer program, including the performance of the volunteer and outreach coordinator, ensuring effective and sufficient contributions to meet LHS program needs, a positive experience for volunteers, and engagement in the broader work of LHS.
- Develops strategic plans for recruitment and retention of volunteers and program growth, and develops and implements policies and procedures for the volunteer program.
- Develops plans and programs to increase volunteer satisfaction and reduce attrition.
Outreach and Education:
- Create, implement and manage an annual community outreach plan to align with organizational goals, overseeing the performance of the volunteer and engagement coordinator in his/her role.
- Researches, identifies, and solicits new opportunities for strategic outreach and education activities in the community.
- Serves as liaison with community businesses/organizational partners on outreach and education initiatives.
- Represents organization at community events, seeking advantageous partnerships with community businesses, vendors and individuals.
- Manages effective training, development, and management of associated personnel to provide consistent and outstanding service to clientele.
- Tactfully and effectively communicates with internal and external customers (staff, volunteers, and the public) in both challenging situations and day-to-day communications.
- Establishes a climate that encourages LHS employee and volunteer satisfaction, where both volunteers and employees feel respected, empowered to do meaningful work, and capable of professional communication that enables both groups to work together in accomplishing the organization’s goals.
- Makes recommendations for the organization’s budget planning purposes to DOD and regularly tracks and reports upon progress toward goals.
- Provide creative, progressive and constructive ideas to strategic initiatives to ensure that the goals and objectives of LHS are successfully achieved.
- Ensures establishment of best practices and effective policies and procedures within the supervised departments.
- Maintains accurate and complete records and files on all animals, adoptions, staff, volunteers, correspondence, and shelter activities.
- Prepares timely operational reports including a detailed annual report.
- Assists with fundraising initiatives and special projects.
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Commitment to Lawrence Humane Society’s mission and vision.
- 5 years of successful experience in a business or nonprofit environment, with at least two years in a management capacity.
- Demonstrated supervisory knowledge to include training methods and development, employee motivation, and decision-making techniques.
- Demonstrated program management knowledge to include basic statistical methods and fiscal and budgetary practices.
- Critical thinking skills and focus on consistent process improvement.
- Strong customer service orientation and effectiveness in interacting with people from different backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Commitment to ongoing learning and growth.
- Outstanding strategic, communications and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in planning, leading and managing community engagement projects.
- Goal-driven, holding self and others accountable to department and agency goals, with effective skills at prioritizing and redirecting activities to achieve the desired outcomes.
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with internal leaders and external stakeholders.