Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Legislative and Policy Director
Overland Park Office with frequent travel to Topeka
The Legislative and Policy Director sets the legislative agenda for the ACLU of KS, leading the organization’s broad-based policy program at the state and local levels. The Legislative and Policy Director serves as the chief lobbyist to the Kansas Legislature, advancing the ACLU’s civil liberties and civil rights policy goals in the State Capitol.
The position reports to the Executive Director and manages one employee. Within the organization this position:
- Provides the legislative framework for grassroots lobbying efforts and works in close coordination with Field Department
- Provides the Communications Department with timely and accurate descriptions of pending and passed legislation; aids in the provision of information to assist with the crafting of accurate talking points
- Works with the Legal Department to ensure proposed legislation comports with sound legal policy, and to seek ad hoc commentary and research for positions on specific bills
- Forms positive professional relationships with all key parties in the Kansas State Legislature and key local officials throughout the state
- Lobbies in State House as necessary during legislative session
- Acts as policy resource and guide for the affiliate’s coalition partners
- Supervises production of policy-based affiliate publications as determined in coordination with the Executive Director
- Provides legislative briefings to candidates and legislators
- Attends speaking engagements as authorized to advocate for the ACLU’s positions and defense of civil rights and civil liberties
- Speaks with the media on behalf of the affiliate as authorized
The following are must have qualifications for the position:
- Effective public speaker
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to manage others
- Ability to coordinate work plans and collaborate cross-functionally
- Self-discipline, motivation, and internal sense of accountability
- Ability to read and interpret bills
- Ability to conduct and interpret social science and policy research
- Ability to respectfully communicate with co-workers and work within integrated advocacy model
- Strong verbal communication skills including the ability to influence and persuade effectively
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Three years’ professional experience as a lobbyist
- Experience reviewing, analyzing, and drafting legislation and policies proposals
- Experience drafting and presenting testimony on legislative and policy proposals before legislative and other government bodies
- Two years’ experience managing a team
- Understanding of the policy-creation process
- Basic knowledge of immigration issues, criminal justice reforms, histories of voter suppression, reproductive rights arguments, free speech cases, LGBTQ rights, race and gender discrimination.
- Public speaking
- Write policy positions
- Basic MS Office, Outlook, Google Docs
- Basic social science research
- Manage and Perform Affiliate’s Direct Lobbying Activities (30%)
- Advocate priority issues with elected officials
- Influence passage of bills in Kansas state legislature
- Educate legislators on civil rights and on the impact of legislation through a civil rights lens
- Draft and present testimonies to support or oppose legislation
- Manage Policy Team (30%)
- Supervise county- and municipal-level lobbying
- Oversee the development of and review for publication and distribution: Policy reports, documents, presentations, and data analysis
- Oversee the identification and tracking of relevant legislation before the Kansas Legislature
- Ensure accurate collection and use of research and data
- Conduct issue-related research and analysis as necessary to achieve department goals
- Collaborate Cross-Functionally (15%)
- Ensure statewide and locally-based legislative initiatives are approved by the Executive Director and coordinated internally with Field Department to optimize cross-functional integration
- Maintain consistent lines of communication with departments
- Keep the affiliate informed of legislation that is moving or urgent that directly impacts our campaign priorities, cases, communications, development, and field presence
- Manage and Perform Grassroots Lobbying Activities (10%)
- Provide policy expertise and legislative analysis to coalition partners
- Encourage calls to action to promote or defeat specific legislation
- Manage Legislative Analysis and Tracking (10%)
- Identify and track legislation before the Kansas Legislature that affects civil liberties
- Review bills as they are introduced to the Kansas Legislature and write testimonies to support or oppose those bills.
- Keep the affiliate informed of legislation that is moving or urgent that directly impacts our campaign priorities.
- Participate in Public Events and Platforms for Awareness (5%)
- Fundraisers for ACLU and coalition partners
- Public speaking
- Coalition meetings and events
- Lobby Days
- This job is primarily sedentary work which requires extended periods of sitting and/or standing in an office setting.
- This position requires extensive travel within the state of Kansas and occasional travel outside of Kansas but within the United States.
Starting salary for this position is $60,000 with an automatic increase to a minimum of $63,000 after successful completion of six month probationary period.
The ACLU of Kansas has a generous benefits package including employer paid health, dental, vision, and disability insurance; employer contributions to employee’s 401k accounts, employer sponsored professional development opportunities, and a generous paid time off policy.
Send cover letter and resume to Roberta Beier, firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $50,000 - 74,999