Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
KC Healthy Kids is a private nonprofit organization reshaping our region for a brighter future. We partner with communities and organizations to advance policies and environmental changes that improve access to affordable, fresh food and safe places to walk and play.
KC Healthy Kids seeks an energetic and committed individual to advance policies that encourage healthy eating, active living and a robust regional food system. This person will work with a team of staff members, consultants, and collaborating organizations to formulate and implement policy strategies that increase access to healthy affordable food. The position will help move policy goals into action by working with advocates and advocacy groups, governmental policymakers, organizational decision makers and other actors. This position will involve working closely with staff and stakeholders who lead the Greater Kansas City Food Policy Coalition and other initiatives in order to develop and advance the advocacy priorities of those organizations. This position requires a high level of autonomy and initiative, and the ability to work with a wide range of stakeholders throughout the region.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advance the advocacy agendas and initiatives of KC Healthy Kids and its programs.
- Monitor and analyze policies affecting regional and statewide food systems and physical activity.
- Help direct outreach and organizing efforts to build a diverse regional network of advocates informed on food and active living policies, building their advocacy skills and policy knowledge.
- Work with other advocacy organizations to partner on shared policy and legislative issues.
- Prepare talking points, analyses, reports, briefs and presentations on policy issues that are timely and comprehensible by diverse constituencies and audiences.
- Educate policymakers and advocates about the importance of a strong regional and statewide food system, and access to safe places for physical activity, as they relate to the promotion of health, prosperity and sustainability of the region.
- Provide logistical and operational support to coalition efforts led by KC Healthy Kids.
- Manage relevant grant-funded efforts, including staff and funder communication, opportunity identification, proposals, reporting, implementation and problem resolution.
- Work with policy and communications staff and consultants to plan and execute advocacy communications relating to policy initiatives.
- Help with intern recruitment and supervision as needed.
- Knowledge of healthy eating, food retail, food systems and active living policy are desirable.
- Strong grasp of advocacy strategy and the political process.
- Excellent organizational skills and leadership abilities requiring moderate oversight.
- Exceptional writing, public speaking and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus in groups and run a coalition.
- Willingness to work demanding schedule, think and plan strategically and work well with diverse range of people.
- Availability for occasional meetings and events during evenings and weekends.
- Ability to travel and access to reliable transportation is necessary for attending meetings throughout the metro and travel to state capitols.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent work experience, in community planning and design, nutrition, public health, public policy, public administration or related field is preferred.
- Minimum of five years of experience in coalition organizing, legislative/administrative advocacy or other experiences related to policy decision-making.
Relationship management is a key function of the position. The Policy Director interacts with diverse stakeholders, including public officials, administrators, farmers, food industry professionals, planning professionals, school professionals and educators, transportation experts, philanthropy, faith-based organizations, health care personnel, social service professionals, academia, media and community residents.
Vice President of Policy
Salary and Benefits:
Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
Email cover letter, resume, salary history, and one page writing sample to email@example.com by Friday, July 19, 2019. Applications will continue to be accepted while the position remains unfilled.
** Please note: No phone calls please. Inquiries should be sent by email. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
KC Healthy Kids is committed to maintaining a diverse, multicultural working environment. We adhere to the policy of providing equal employment opportunities to all job applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability or sexual orientation.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $50,000 - 74,999