Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Refugee Community Navigator
Please apply to: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/1405518/Catholic-Charities-of-Northeast-Kansas-INC/Refugee-Community-Navigator
Welcomes refugees and other ORR-eligible clients who have recently moved to Kansas or been granted asylum, complete intakes, make referrals, and connect them to services in the community for which they are eligible. Work closely with clients in the field by conducting home visits and providing customized community orientation designed to assist refugees navigating their new communities. Successfully promote and support the mission of Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas as guided by the Catholic Social Teachings through services outlined in Refugee Support Services (RSS) Grant, EEO.
- Work collaboratively with Employment Team to assist refugees who have completed their 90-days of resettlement, and the secondary immigrants navigate services in the community, assist them address immediate needs in their efforts to achieve self-sufficiency.
- Receive referrals of community navigation for recently arrived refugees, connect and work with them in discussing their needs, and set achievable goals.
- Review and/or complete assessments with clients, identify barriers to self-sufficiency, address ongoing issues, which include but not limited to, bill paying, housing, medical needs, public benefits, navigating transportation, and connect them with schools enrollments.
- Document contacts with and services provided to clients, monitor progress of case members over time with summary notes regarding the purpose and outcomes of the services provided.
- Maintain client files, including copies of all pertinent documents, ensure clients’ signatures and dates on appropriate forms and receipts promptly.
- Provide or arrange transportation for refugees to attend appointments or community orientation as needed.
- Maintain an Outlook calendar to organize and coordinate program support.
- Contributes to RSS-related reporting in a timely manner.
- Participates in team meetings and trainings to assure appropriate communication and stay up-to-date on developments.
- Maintains professional conduct while dealing with other staff and clients as identified in the NASW Code of Ethics and abides by all program policies and procedures and acts as a mandated reporter.
- Learns and implements guidelines for services for the RSS Program set forth by the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) and Kansas Office for Refugees (KSOR) and stays up-to-date on relevant developments and public policies that affect refugees.
- Bachelor’s Degree in social work or human service field or comparable experience is preferred
- Ability to work effectively in an environment that is multi-cultural and multi-lingual without preference to any certain language, ethnic, nationality, or religious groups
- Must have competent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills in English; fluent in a second language (Burmese, Karen, Swahili, Farsi/Dari, Kinyarwanda, etc.) preferred
- Knowledge of public policy and how it affects refugees and similar immigrants
- Strong typing & internet skills as well as the ability to learn Microsoft Outlook, Excel and various database programs
- Work collaboratively with external and internal partners of Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas, and advocate on behalf of the program and its participants
- Must be reliable, punctual, professional, and show empathy to people in crisis and demonstrate ability to discharge assignments independently
- Must have competent organizational skills, attention to detail and the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Must be occasionally conduct client meetings during evening and weekend hours
- Must have a valid driver’s license, car insurance, a verified safe driving record and reliable means of transportation for local travel
- Catholic Charities promotes a diverse workforce and one must not be catholic to work with the agency. However, employees of Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas must understand that they are a visible representative of the Archdiocesan Church and as such will not publicly oppose the teachings of the Catholic Faith nor publicly advocate for any position in conflict with Catholic teaching, or the specific positions of the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas or the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. This requirement includes any public speech, demonstration, or writing including the use of social media or other digital technologies
- Must complete VIRTUS training, background screening, drug testing, and any ongoing training as required
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer, standing, pending and moving
- Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds
- Must have the physical ability to make visits to a variety of environments that may include walking on rough terrain and climbing stairs
- Must have physical ability to effectively communicate with others
- Must have the physical ability and appropriate licensure for driving
Job Type: Full Time