Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Community Prevention Specialist
FIRST CALL JOB DESCRIPTION
Title: Community Prevention Specialist
Report to: Director of Prevention Services
Responsible for planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating community based substance abuse prevention programming.
- Assist in the development and implementation of technical assistance plans for community teams, community groups, and other private and public agencies throughout the assigned service area.
- Provide consultation to community teams in identifying issues/problems related to substance abuse, assessing available resources, identifying new resources, developing objectives and action plans, and developing funding proposals.
- Work directly with community specialists for prevention services in mobilizing teams and in preparing reports regarding the progress of projects in the service area and make recommendations for the program changes and implementation.
- Provide consultation to community leaders in monitoring the dynamics of team process and assist in identifying solutions to problems that arise.
- Provide current resources material on substance abuse prevention, advocacy issues, and state issues.
- Develop and conduct (or arrange for) education programs and workshops that help communities achieve their prevention goals.
- Assist community teams in developing age-appropriate community activities.
- Supervise assigned Community Organizers, where applicable, in their work with community teams.
- Some in-town and out-of-town travel may be required to complete position responsibilities. Work hours will include some weekend and evening activities.
- Other duties as deemed appropriate for the fulfillment of the mission of First Call and Prevention Resource Centers of Missouri.
KNOWLEDGE AND CRITICAL SKILLS/EXPERTISE
- Will need to meet all of the standards and qualifications required of a substance abuse prevention professional by the Missouri Substance Abuse Professional Credentialing Board within 6 months of hire date.
- Three to five years work experience in a human services field, in education, or a related area.
- Two years of experience in community or volunteer development.
- Knowledge of the principals of planning, community organization, program development, and volunteerism.
- Knowledge and understanding of the dynamics of alcohol, tobacco and other drug use/abuse as well as the principals of prevention.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with outside organizations and diverse populations that have similar visions and missions.
- Knowledge and skills in conducting needs assessments, developing goals, objectives and action plans, and in conducting process and outcome evaluation.
- Knowledge of community resources available to assist in prevention efforts.
- Ability to work well under pressure and to meet established guidelines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Access to reliable personal transportation.
- Working hours: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, with 30 minute lunch and two (2) 15 minute breaks (can be taken congruently).
- First Call provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Email cover letter and resume to Margaux Guignon, email@example.com.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $30,000 - 49,999