Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Full-time Shelter Advocate
Rose Brooks Center
Notice of Job Posting
Full-time Shelter Advocate Non-exempt #20-008-FT-SA
If you want to make a positive difference in the lives of others and do meaningful work then Rose Brooks Center, a non-profit domestic violence agency in Kansas City, MO may be the agency for you!
Rose Brooks Center is currently hiring for a full-time Shelter Advocate. Rose Brooks Center’s shelter is a low barrier and voluntary participation program. The Shelter Advocate is responsible for providing survivor centered, accessible, trauma informed and culturally competent advocacy to residents of Rose Brooks Center. Primary responsibilities include providing crisis intervention and advocacy to callers on the hotline and in shelter, facilitates the provision of services and activities that promote a healthy, safe, and positive living environment and operates, monitors, and responds to the security system alerts and functions. This position will support the mission and values of the agency, collaborates across programs within a multi-disciplinary team as well as external systems. This position reports to the Shelter Manager.
For more information visit, www.rosebrooks.org.
OTHER ASPECTS OF THE JOB:
- Perform all job responsibilities while demonstrating proficiency in all RBC Competencies and a commitment to the overall mission of Rose Brooks Center.
- Perform functions of job according to agency policies and procedures.
- Participate in all required trainings and optional trainings as determined.
- Attend required/scheduled staff and team meetings, which occur outside of normal work hours.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 1 year experience working in a residential setting or crisis intervention role, providing culturally competent services to a diverse client group including at-risk populations.
- Ability to provide services according to Rose Brooks Center’s Values, Beliefs, and Philosophies.
- Proven ability to collaborate within an interdisciplinary team and interact with external agencies.
- Excellent customer service and problem solving skills
- Ability to perform computer skills (including MS office, database, and security software)
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in providing domestic violence advocacy and / or case management services.
- Knowledge of relevant community resources.
- Knowledge of and experience in trauma informed care and dynamics of domestic violence.
- Bi-lingual in ASL or Spanish / English – both written and verbal.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to provide proof of automobile insurance
Physical and Mental Demands – ability to perform the following with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Physical Demands of the role:
- Ability to see computer screen, read, and complete forms
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds to the waist
- Ability to sit, walk, and stand primarily indoors, but some outdoors for regular periods of time
- Ability to push, pull, lift, bend, stoop, climb and reach
- Ability to transport (drive) residents on occasion
- Ability to answer phone calls in a busy environment (hear callers and be responsive)
- Ability to use standard cleaning supplies
- Ability to work in a high intensity/fast paced work environment
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Ability to collaborate with interdisciplinary team
- Ability to recognize trauma exposure/secondary trauma for self and implement self-care plan
- Ability to make quick and sound decisions and problem-solve
- Exposure to animals (primarily dogs and cats)
WORK HOURS:The shelter operates 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. With this position, work schedules may be adjusted as needed. This position will primarily work Saturday through Monday, 8:30am to 9pm. For full time employees, we offer a comprehensive benefits package. The Shelter Advocate is required to work some holidays.
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to:
P.O. Box 320599
Kansas City, MO 64132
Candidates must consent to a Background Check and Children’s Division (Central Registry/Child Abuse) Screening
Deadline: Open until filled per qualifications.
Rose Brooks Center is an equal opportunity employer who values and embraces diversity.
Job Type: Full Time