Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Support Group Facilitator-Gilda's Club KC
Gilda’s Club Kansas City- An affiliate of the Cancer Support Community
Job Title: Support Group Facilitator Status: Contract
Reports To: Program Director (PD)
A Group Facilitator is a licensed mental health professional responsible for facilitation of weekly and/or monthly support groups as well as educational workshops such as Frankly Speaking About Cancer series for adults and children impacted by cancer. Group Facilitators help members connect with one another as they discover ways to reduce isolation, regain a sense of control, and create community. Group Facilitators are specifically trained in the Gilda’s Club KC philosophy and support group methodology and utilize those specific skills in group facilitation. Facilitators continue to cultivate group facilitation skills through participation in regular clinical supervision meetings. Facilitators may also be engaged to oversee and/or conduct educational workshops, individual and/or family sessions, intake interviews and other programs as well as representing the Gilda’s Club KC mission, core concepts and philosophy to the general public.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Support Group Facilitation and Management
- Facilitate group members in sharing their cancer-related experiences, gaining knowledge and information in regularly scheduled support group meetings by utilizing the Gilda’s Club KC support group model.
- Serve as an expert in group facilitation and the psychosocial aspects of cancer across the continuum (diagnosis, treatment, post-treatment, long-term survivorship, end of life), but not as an expert in cancer or cancer treatment.
- Conduct pre-group interviews and/or customized membership plan if/when required by the Program Director.
- Provide telephone, mail and/or email follow-up with group members as needed and per Gilda’s Club KC affiliate protocol.
- Submit all required attendance sheets, reports and time sheets in a timely and accurate manner.
- Provide back-up coverage for other support groups as needed and if time allows.
Other Duties and Responsibilities as available
I. General Program Administration and Direct Service
- May be engaged to serve as a Gilda’s Club KC “host” for educational workshops, and other special programs. Expectations include, but are not limited to, introducing speakers, providing introductory remarks that include a brief overview of Gilda’s Club KC, participating in the program, occasionally redirecting as necessary, fielding questions and answers, assisting with evaluations and closure, and providing feedback to the Program.
- Provide other program support, including individual, couple and/or family support as needed and/or depending on resource availability.
- Work to build community among all members, staff, and others.
II.Supervision and Professional Development
- Complete necessary hours of training experience at the local Gilda’s Club KC under the direction of the Program Director. Training will include group observation and attendance at supervision meetings.
- Participate in regular clinical supervision meetings under the direction of the Program Director.
- Provide annual documentation of current licensure and malpractice insurance.
- Voluntarily participate in ongoing continuing education opportunities related to
- Serve as a voluntary “ambassador” to spread awareness about Gilda’s Club KC across the community at large.
- Master’s degree in Social Work, Mental Health, Expressive Therapy or a related field from an accredited institution.
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW/LSCSW) preferred. Licensed Masters Level Social Worker (LMSW) Marriage & Family Therapist (MFT) or equivalent in the State of Missouri AND Kansas required.
- Strong clinical skills, including individual and support group experience and ability to work with issues surrounding chronic and life-threatening illnesses.
- One to three years experience in oncology and/or support group facilitation highly desired.
- Willingness to master and implement Gilda’s Club KC psychosocial support methods, participate in ongoing clinical supervision, and the overall experience of a support community.
- Documentation of licensure and professional malpractice insurance.
- Ability to administer Gilda’s Club KC policies and procedures while maintaining a warm, professional, personal, informative, and effective program.
- Good verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- Most work will occur in evenings and Saturdays, must have flexible schedule.
- Commitment to working as a team member in a supportive community.
Job Type: Part Time