Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Construction Volunteer Leader
Primary Team Leader: Construction Site Manager
FLSA Classification: Hourly, Non-Exempt/Full Time/Benefits Eligible
Work week is Tuesday- Saturday
Direct Reports: None
JOB SUMMARY: To oversee the construction process at multiple sites, start to finish. Utilize the work of volunteers and contractors to complete the project. To engage and lead volunteers in a rewarding, productive and safe workday. To produce quality, energy-efficient homes for low-income families.
- Training and leading volunteers and homeowner families in the general construction of Habitat homes.
- Assist in all aspects of home building from lot clearing/lot maintenance to final inspections and punch lists.
- Be current on daily new construction/ rehab tasks as determined by the construction director.
- Share information about Habitat's mission with volunteers and homeowners onsite.
- Follow safety policy and procedures.
- Materials and inventory control.
- Maintain a construction and work environment that is supportive to Habitat's mission.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Ability to compassionately teach volunteers how to build.
- Ability to model construction leadership in new and rehab projects
- Ability to perform both simple and complex technical tasks as it relates to single-family residential building
- Able to manage multiple projects and set appropriate priorities.
- Ability to relate to people of different faiths, races and incomes.
- Self –starter
- Well organized
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School or Technical School Diploma required
- At least 6 years of experience in private sector, residential construction,preferably in the Kansas City area
- Experience with modest income neighborhoods and urban residential communities is beneficial
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS NECESSARY TO PERFORM THE JOB:
- Capable of lifting up to 50 – 80 pounds
- Requires manual labor, construction duties, and use of tools
- Must be capable of carrying generators, compressors, and other heavy tools from the curb to the build.
- Able to carry, set, and negotiate commercial grade extension and step ladders as dictated by the building site.
- Able to set and negotiate scaffolding.
- Must be able to stand for prolonged duration, walk, climb, bend and squat.
- Travel is primarily to and from construction work sites
Must satisfactorily pass all applicable examinations including, but not limited to, a pre-employment physical, drug screen and background check. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict tasks that may be assigned and is subject to change at any time.
Job Type: Full Time