Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Volunteer Engagement Manager
Organization: Since 1901, Jewish Family Services of Greater Kansas (JFS) has supported and strengthened lives throughout Greater Kansas City. We provide essential human services for people facing challenges in everyday life or times of crisis — regardless of faith, age, culture, or lifestyle. JFS proudly serves more than 10,000 people annually through our KesherKC Social Services and Food Pantry, Older Adult Services. Mental Health Services and Education, Chaplaincy, and Jewish life. JFS was founded on the Jewish value of tikkun olam, repairing the world, one person, one family at a time.
Position Summary: The Volunteer Engagement Manager’s primary responsibility is to build and maintain a diverse volunteer program to meet the strategic and programmatic goals of the organization. The Manager is expected to provide leadership to support the role of volunteers within the programs and operations at JFS. This person will build strategic partnerships with community organizations while supervising the volunteer programming at JFS. They are expected to keep abreast of trends in this field and are expected to take an active role in the operations of the agency, serving as a role model to both staff and volunteers. Clear expression, through both verbal and written communication and a constructive working relationship both within the Program and Advancement Teams and other departmental staff are essential for success in this position. The Manager’s overall goal should be to ensure volunteer engagement is a driving force of Jewish Family Service’s mission, growth, and impact. To apply, visit
- Develop, implement, and continuously improve a strategic volunteer engagement plan that establishes clear and concise goals, in partnership with the Director of Program Operations and the Advancement Team
- Supervise and provide strategic direction for Volunteer Coordinator
- Establish departmental roles that utilize and empower Volunteer Coordinator to effectively recruit, train, and retain volunteers
- Create tools and resources to engage, train, and support volunteers, including developing volunteer position descriptions and roles that serve the needs of the programs.
- Motivate volunteers through regular recognition, sense of community, and positive experience and train and encourage Volunteer Coordinator to do the same
- Ensure volunteers are complying with agency volunteer policies and procedures; provide constructive feedback for volunteers and program staff on any performance issues and non-adherence to the policies and procedures
- Develop, and solidify network of key stakeholders and organizations to build strategic partnerships in conjunction with agency initiatives and program goals through definition and management of partnerships
- Serve as the point person for B’nai Mitzvah opportunities as needed
- Work with the advancement team to cultivate volunteers as donors and donors as volunteers
- Managing engagement, retention and recruitment planning to the Volunteer Engagement budget
- Lead continuous improvement of systems to ensure logistics for volunteer opportunities are successfully implemented
- Create and carry out an annual volunteer satisfaction survey to identify key strengths and areas for improvement in partnership with the Program Impact Manager.
- Oversee performance indicator metrics for the volunteer program to be used in measuring success and community impact in partnership with the Program Impact Manager
- Other duties, as assigned
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in volunteer recruiting, recognition and retention
- Have attended the Volunteer Management Institute at Nonprofit Connect, or equivalent is strongly preferred
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite, Volunteer Management Software or a CRM, Internet and demonstrated ability to learn new software.
- Outstanding written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills including email writing and phone manner.
- An affinity for the agency’s volunteers who share their time and skills with us every day; attentiveness to their motivations and interests and a desire to communicate gratitude and constantly improve their volunteer experience.
- Demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively across departments and with a wide range of staff and client populations
- The ability to manage multiple projects with attention to detail and accuracy while adhering to deadlines.
- Good judgment and discretion, strong ethical character, ability to preserve volunteer confidentiality and when requested, volunteer anonymity.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively with other agency staff and volunteers representing a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences.
- Fast learner who is excited by change, with creative and solutions-oriented problem-solving skills.
- Professional presence and appearance, as well as phone, video, and email etiquette
- Demonstrated poise, tact, integrity, and diplomacy
- Warm and welcoming; a people person
- Highly organized
- Strong time management skills for self and those being supported
- Strong initiative and the ability to work independently
- Enjoys collaborating with others
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Customer service orientation
- Able to multi-task, establish priorities, and meet deadlines on an ad hoc basis
- Able to work comfortably and effectively with a wide range of staff and client populations
- Able to innovate and manage process improvements
- Demonstrate good problem-solving capability; solution-oriented
- Able to handle sensitive information and confidential situations
- Able to develop and maintain effective working relationships
Environmental/Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Frequently required to sit, stand, talk, and hear
- Able to arrive on time for a full day of work
- Able to lift and move packages, equipment, boxes, supplies, files, etc., of up to 20 pounds
- Ability to stoop, bend down to the floor, or reach up above the head to access various parts of the building or equipment
- Ability to effectively use office equipment (including but not limited to computer, phone, and printer/copier/fax machine) to fulfill essential functions of the position
- Ability to comply with JFS mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy; in compliance with Federal ADA guidelines.
- Competitive Pay & Benefits
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance Package
- Disability and Life Insurance Package
- Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Discount Membership to JCC
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Free Parking
- Paid Time Off for Volunteering
Guiding Principles: JFS is guided by five principles informing how we engage with each other and the community we serve. The right candidate will be in alignment with these values:
- B’Yachad - Stronger Together: We are better as an agency and a community when we think, work, and serve together.
- Being Human-Centered: We put the human experience and perspective at the center of our thinking, programming, services, and interactions.
- Collaboration: We actively seek partnering opportunities within JFS and throughout our community.
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship: We respond and continually adapt to ongoing needs and changes in Kansas City.
- Open Communication: We communicate openly, honestly, and in a solution-oriented manner.
EEO Statement: Jewish Family Services is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion. Employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit, and organizational need. All applicants will be considered for employment with dignity and respect, free of all discrimination, including that which is based on race, color, religion, gender, language, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $30,000 - 49,999