City Year Kansas City
EducationNonprofit MemberBoard of Directors
City Year helps students and schools succeed. Diverse teams of City Year AmeriCorps members provide support to students, classrooms and the whole school, helping to ensure that students in systemically under-resourced schools receive a high-quality education that prepares them with the skills and mindsets to thrive and contribute to their community. A 2015 study shows that schools that partner with City Year were up to two-to-three times more likely to improve on math and English assessments.
City Year is contributing to a clearer and bolder vision of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels connected to the school community; where data informs practices that promote student growth and achievement; and where all students have access to positive relationships and personalized learning environments that encourage them to persevere through challenges, build on their strengths and thrive.
A proud member of the AmeriCorps national service network, City Year is supported by the Corporation for National and Community Service, local school districts and private philanthropy. City Year partners with public schools in 29 communities across the U.S. and through international affiliates in the U.K. and South Africa. In Kansas City, City Year serves over 4,500 students in 7 public schools.
- City Year serves 4,500+ students in 7 schools with a team of 66 AmeriCorps members.
- 96% of partner principals agree that City Year AmeriCorps members serve as positive role models for their students.
- 50% of 2018-2019 City Year Kansas City AmeriCorps members continued working in a school after their year of service.
- In our first 3 years, 45% of students tutored by City Year improved from a failing grade to a passing grade.
- In our first 3 years, 40% of City Year attendance students improved their average daily attendance by 2% or more.